The Lockpicking Lawyer makes a monkey out of a locksmith

On a side note, in my state it’s considered proof of intent to commit a crime to own a set of lockpicks unless you’re a licensed locksmith, but I can walk around all day with a battery powered angle grinder and there’s nothing the cops can do about it. Of the two, the guy with the grinder is far more likely to have the intention of committing theft.

16 Likes

Some can easily cycle a hundred miles or more a day. Maybe he had an ebike with a large battery range. Maybe he was 50 miles out. A very expensive Uber. And I safely assumed you did not know the guy by the way you said ''he should" because if you’d have known him you’d doubtless have been unable to resist saying you told him so.

1 Like

He’s got 1.81m subs. He’s picked challenge locks from people in the locksport community. He has a PO box listed in his about so people can send him locks. A one-in-a-million thing might be real. Between some of the collabs with very legit professionals and how hard it would be to fake 1100 videos in five years under the constraints of his format, I think he’s just that good.

I could also believe this is still fake in the manner of a fake dear abby letter.

3 Likes

Musta come Amazon Prime…

The lock he got did appear to be older and well used, as well as being obviously cut with an angle grinder. If someone faked it they did their legwork.

3 Likes

Harbor Freight isn’t a bad choice for tools you only need to use once. Except jack stands - never buy your jack stands from Harbor Freight.

11 Likes

Not trying to besmirch the LPL, just stating a package like this isn’t much proof.

And she didn’t even destroy the lock!

1 Like

How many commercial locksmiths carry a tool that is specifically designed and machined for opening this kind of lock?

You joke, but I remember a hidden-camera-investigation-with-an-exciting-confrontation-at-the-end type show many years ago where they went after a dodgy locksmith.

They recorded him destroying all the locks he’d been asked to pick, then charging an obscene amount for replacements, knowing the customer’s only alternative was to risk a night with no lock at all.

Towards the end they called him out to open a door that wasn’t even locked. He noticed this, locked it, then pretended to try picking before going for the drill again.

7 Likes

Another interesting side note. My state’s official requirements for a locksmithing license do not include picking.

https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/licensure-and-regulatory-affairs/training/courses/25e-locksmith

But they do include a firearms endorsement?!?

https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/licensure-and-regulatory-affairs/locksmith

I think my state thinks locksmiths work like in the movies where they shoot the lock and the door opens.

5 Likes

A special tool is required to pick them fast, and it’s a “completely different skillset” to pin tumbler locks.

5 Likes

He didn’t even say it was the tool that he and BosnianBill made! Very out of character

1 Like

I wish I could afford to buy high-end everything. But I can’t. So I buy the good stuff selectively. For the rest I have a choice of Horrid Fright or nothing which means Horrid Fright. The bandsaw, drill press, angle grinder, biscuit joiner and a couple other things are still working just fine. Beats the hell out of not having them.

5 Likes

Now to the (whatever a bike costs in your city) question: Is this disc detainer pick easy to obtain? Because it seems to me that a robber with this power tool doesn’t need time or much effort to get the prize.

His pick, no, it is mentioned a lot in other videos as a custom piece. A disc detainer pick in general can be purchased, ranging in quality from really cheap garbage to a pick very similar to his (Sparrows sells a licensed model, but it is currently sold out). The limiting factor really isn’t the tool, but the skill and time investment. Power tools will be faster for a lot of thieves.

2 Likes

Lockpicking Lawyer stares hard at Fort Know bullion room door… and the door falls off its hinges.

2 Likes

He has videos of him popping open a medco lock in a minute or so, that is not at all easy to do. For any normal lock picker a medco lock usually means you are going to have to drill out the cylinder.

1 Like

he’s genuinely impressive, and i like that his videos are usually explainers so it’s not just demonstrations of skillz…

that said:

his hands are off camera multiple times, and there’s absolutely no reason to believe that his narration was done contemporaneously with the filming. it would be easy to spend hours if need be opening that lock off screen while making the video seem a continuous experience

more trivial still to buy a lock, angle grind it open, write a fake letter, and pretend to open the lock by lock picking it – but really why?

it would take time and effort to build the skills to create fake video after fake video. might as well just learn to pick locks and make real ones

like the lock picking lawyer does

2 Likes

The lock’s owner said he had a spare key at home