The Lockpicking Lawyer makes a monkey out of a locksmith

If it’s a really expensive bike the thieves will cut the frame to get the bike loose and take the useless bike to strip the expensive components off and sell them, which they do anyhow. The frame becomes something that’s tossed.
Disc retainer locks are rarely picked by professional locksmiths and are normally bypassed completely by other methods.

3 Likes

“When you have an angle grinder, everything looks like…”

1 Like

…an angle?

4 Likes

The HF jack stands were only recalled like twice. Fool me twice, something something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you know the key number, you can order a spare key from the manufacturer.

1 Like

It looks like it’s sold out, and the price is set at $1,000,000. Apparently it usually goes for $45, which is about the price of a cheap angle grinder, but unless you pick a lot of disc locks, the grinder is probably more useful.

1 Like

I interrupted some non-professional bike thieves cutting my motorcycle lock, they cleared off leaving the charger for their angle grinder behind, hopefully this reduced their capability even further.

5 Likes

Supposed you still have a complete set of eyes and fingers after the one time the $65 grinder failed.

To shreds, you said.
–Professor Farnsworth

I once hired an “arborist” to evaluate the trees in my yard, and when he showed up he was wearing a t-shirt with his logo on it - which was a crazed-looking cartoon chainsaw sticking out its blade-tongue appendage.

Literally the only thing he recommended was removing trees. He was the tree-care version of your angle-grinder locksmith.

I did not hire him, although if I ever need one removed I bet he’s damn good at it.

1 Like

This is really common. All the money is in cutting trees down, not in taking care of them. Plus, if you are worried about a tree and call a guy out and he says to keep it, but it later falls on your house he has liability. If he cuts the tree down there’s no chance the stump is going to cave in your roof 3 weeks later.

Actual conservationists work for arboretums. You can’t find them in the yellow pages.

1 Like

As always,
it comes down to having the right tool for the job (knowing how to use them is a given)

Off topic but related to your comment: In Austin the city has regulations about preserving native trees, and while they are relatively strict about it i do wish they were more so actually (though that’s a separate discussion). But anything anyone wants to do with native trees on their property they have to consult with one of the city’s arborists, even trimming limbs or removing a dead one. Honestly wish more places went through that kind of effort to keep an area looking green and full of trees.

4 Likes

For you newbies, this lock picking lawyer is the real deal. No magician tricks or theatrics. I have watched many of his videos out of curiosity. His videos are always succinct. No wasted nonsense and always interesting.

Remember, wear safety glasses when out stealing bikes, kids!

(Images spoiler blurred by request. They show fragments of cutting discs lodged in safety glasses. No gore of course, because safety glasses work, y’all)

5 Likes

This is the first time gingertom99 has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

Well, this is ironic.

5 Likes

The one Sparrows is currently sold out of is not “a community designed pick”. It’s the same design that LPL and Bosnian Bill made and is licensed to Sparrows by them.

2 Likes

Perhaps I overextended the term from their description of it as a community build. Edited to update.

1 Like

Did we really need to see that? For future reference, the spoiler blur tags work very well on images.

See what? Perfectly healthy people who have been saved by their protective gear?

Yes, I’d argue everyone should see that, especially those that take a lackadaisical approach to work safety. I’d certainly see that over pictures of gruesome injuries any day.

5 Likes

It’s a lot better than some of the other health-and-safety videos I’ve seen which show what happens when you don’t wear safety gear.

4 Likes