The Mad Max Furiosa comic, created entirely by men, is terrible about women

Source?

Comics Alliance

Although Mad Max: Fury Road: Nux and Immortan Joe #1 is the work of writer Nico Lathouris, writer/artist Mark Sexton, and artists Leandro Fernandez, Riccardo Burchielli, and Andrea Mutti, Miller has credit for the story. Donā€™t let the change in mediums fool you. This is canon

DC Comics Blog

The tales of Nux and Immortan Joe. How Furiosa came to meet the Wives. And Max, making his way through the twisted and poisoned wasteland. All stories that flesh out these richly layered and fascinating people, and how they came to be what they are at the beginning of Fury Road. Stories taken from the mind of George Millerā€¦ Given flesh by one of the co-writers of the Fury Road screenplay, Nico Lathouris, and myself.

4 Likes

Thanks buuuttā€¦ Iā€™d still like to hear that the bullshit didnā€™t come from the world-building and back stories of Miller.

At least thereā€™s a glimmer of hope, and hopefully Miller will make a statement but Iā€™m wondering how likely that is given his contractual entanglement in the thing.

2 Likes

First of all, we should be clear that MMFR, the movie, was written by three men. And two of those men, Miller and Lathouris, are credited as writers on the comic. So we can debate about the content of the comic, but it absolutely is the product of the people who wrote the movie.

That quote by Sexton is pretty terrible. But I have read the comic and I actually really liked it (and yes, Iā€™m a woman). It is full of rape, and that means itā€™s probably not content that some people will want to engage with. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with that. But I found it to be a compelling story.

I think it has to be viewed as primarily a story about Furiosaā€™s internal conflict in working for a guy whoā€™s a violent misogynist. As a high-ranking Imperator, she has probably the most secure position she can possibly have in a society where all other women are viewed as chattel. What would make her give that up? It would have to be something big, and something personal.

When sheā€™s out on the road, she can kind of forget about the contradiction of being an enforcer for a guy who keeps women as sex slaves. When sheā€™s suddenly in charge of guarding the wives, she has to face that contradiction. And ultimately she decides she canā€™t be complicit in Joeā€™s system of violence anymore and she has to resist him, even if it means giving up her relatively secure position and putting herself in danger. Itā€™s the same choice Max makes in the movie - choosing between individual survival at any cost, or collective resistance and solidarity.

The Wives donā€™t hate her because sheā€™s another woman, or because theyā€™re being catty. They hate her because sheā€™s their prison guard. She stands there, armed, and doesnā€™t do anything to help them while Joe does what he wants. Iā€™d be pissed too. They explicitly ask her, ā€œWhose side are you on?ā€, and by the end of the comic, she has an answer.

I think itā€™s a pretty bold storytelling choice to show her starting out on Joeā€™s side, in a position where she is not heroic at all, but terribly morally compromised, and making the choice to resist him. And I think thatā€™s why the violence has to be in thereā€“the whole story is about what Furiosaā€™s relationship is going to be to the way Joe treats other women.

I also think itā€™s clear that Miller and Lathouris had this backstory written well before they shot the movie, and that they told it to some of the actors. It gives Furiosaā€™s line about redemption a very specific context. Itā€™s not just that sheā€™s done some bad things, in a general sense, in her service as Joeā€™s lieutenant. Itā€™s that she owes something specific to these women, for all the times she didnā€™t do anything.

In any case, Iā€™ve written a lot more about this in other places, if folks are interested: http://fuckyeahisawthat.tumblr.com

4 Likes

So let me see if Iā€™ve understood this correctly. Youā€™re saying that there is something intrinsically wrong with male writersā€”in this instance, the fact of the team being all male is at the very core of why the comic sucksā€”and the answer is not to hire better writers, but to hire specifically female writers, because female writers do not suffer from the same intrinsic flaws. Is that it?

1 Like

Iā€™m not getting what the confusion is here. Yes, Millerā€™s film was a story about women who had been raped. Yet MILLER CHOSE NOT TO SHOW IT IN THE FUCKING FILM. Get it? So if it didnā€™t need to be shown in the film, why does it need to be shown OVER AND OVER AND OVER in the comic? Film, like comics, is a visual medium. Itā€™s called SUBTLETY. Sexton said on twitter that ā€œThis IS the story that George Miller had. Written by the people who wrote the screenplay for the film.ā€ Yeah, we get that, Mark, you patronizing dick. But Iā€™m pretty sure the audience understood that the brides were raped. WE GET IT. Then Sexton gives us this gemā€¦ ā€œAll I would like to say is that we tried to tell a story that really explained WHY the Wives fled the Citadelā€ Uh, Mark, hate to be the one to burst your bubble here, but everyone who saw the movie ALREADY KNOWS WHY THEY FLED. It wasā€¦wait for itā€¦itā€™s a big wordā€¦waitā€¦OBVIOUS.

The comic seems to written for a 4 year old who needs the obvious spoon fed to them via shitty art and writing. Yes, Furiosa FACILITATED their escape but the brides contributed to THEIR OWN FREEDOM. Whatā€™s her name shields her friends with her pregnant body and guess what? SHE DOESNā€™T DO IT ON ORDERS FROM FURIOSA. She thinks it up all by her widdle self!! Hey, dudes, from a fellow dude, just stop with all the obtuse BS, Mā€™kay? Itā€™s SO played out and you continue to make yourselves irrelevant by indulging in it. And this is coming from a former mansplainer who knows all the tricks.

3 Likes

Wait, so I canā€™t say women can be angry now? Even if they sound angry? What is the proper term for now for the behaviors and mannerisms that would be called angry in men, but happens in individuals who donā€™t identify as such? Why should men be allowed to be angry? It sounds to much like macho rage, which can be kind of linked to a male gender stereotypes.

Sorry, women can be angry. Sometimes they even have reason to be angry. Just like men.

Also, so now only women can portray women well? So 50 Shades of Grey is a more accurate portrayal of women than anything a man could churn out? Can women portray men faithfully?

No, bad writing is bad writing, regardless of which gender writes it.

Though, I am sick to death of rape as a plot device. I generally turn off movies the second they get rapey. Not only is it distasteful, but it is cheap, and minimizes the horror of the actual thing. Sure, there are some exceptions (Last House on the Left, and Death Wish), where they somehow transcend using rape as a cheap gimmick (cheapening rape), and make the whole thing as horrifying as it deserves to be.

Yes, both of those movies might be considered to be cheap schlock by some, but they are surprisingly not really when you watch them without internalizing later genre tropes.

1 Like

You havenā€™t understood this correctly.

4 Likes

Great comment. Also, I checked out the related writing on your blog, and it was all equally great, youā€™ve got a way with words and an eye for this stuff. If possible, I think I love Fury Road more than I did already (and Road Warrior is an all-time favorite of mine).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.