The many-headed hydra is a real creature that regenerates itself and can live "forever"

Originally published at: The many-headed hydra is a real creature that regenerates itself and can live "forever" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

so, doesn’t it or not doesn’t it? not that that is not the question.
whether tis less noble in the mind to not suffer
the slings and arrows of a not unoutrageous fortune
or not to take arms unopposed to a sea of blessings
and by cooperating fail to begin them.

11 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t guard a portal to the netherworld.

2 Likes

Hail hydra?

1 Like

That thing looks a little like a cartoon broomstick, and just as impervious to death by axe.

4 Likes

I seem to remember from highschool biology that jellyfish (and hence hydra? I dunno. Jellyfish look like hydra for their polyp stage anyway. Almost as if a hydra is a jellyfish which just skips the medusa stage.) are more akin to colonies of more or less independent single celled organisms than a ‘real’ multicellular animal. Which makes the whole grounding-up-to-clump-of-cells and then reorganizing to for a new hydra slightly less unexpected. Still very cool of course. Jellyfish lifecycles are very cool all around. Warning, only enter that wikipedia hole if you have at least 3 hours to spare ;-D

4 Likes

About 100 years ago when I was in high school I was fascinated by the hydra, and they are a major reason I got a degree in biology. I wish we had some of the technology then that we have now, like the internet - I would have been much less annoying to my teacher!

2 Likes

“What is White supremacy?”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.