The Moskiller can eradicate mosquitoes from your backyard without any chemicals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/05/the-moskiller-can-eradicate-mo.html

17 Likes

anti-escape storage box.

anti-escape. i don’t know why i have so much trouble with that little bit of copy.

anti-escape.

7 Likes

I thought female mosquitos aren’t really all that attracted to UV light and that CO2 is a better way to attract them. I’d be suspicious of this product’s efficacy.

9 Likes

bionic temperatures

WTF?

15 Likes

Moss killer?

15 Likes

From Wikipedia:
Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and water vapor in the breath of mammals, not ultraviolet light . However, there are now bug zappers that emit carbon dioxide or use an external bait, such as octenol, to better attract biting insects into the light .

6 Likes

This would explain this product’s amazon reviews. 63% give it 1 star.

7 Likes

About 15 years ago, Boing Boing advertised something similar to one of these out of the Neiman Marcus catalog, and I bought it based off that recommendation. It was pricey, but if it worked as advertised it would have been be well worth it. In a complete summer, not one mosquito popped up in the trap. Not a single mosquito.

I use Cutter backyard spray every month now and it’s much more effective.

9 Likes

UV light based mosquito killing devices were shown to be ineffective by researchers a long time ago. I don’t know why Boing Boing is advertising one. They just don’t attract many mosquitos at all.

But, of course, the old screen-attached-to-the-back-of-a-fan trick works really well. And it’s cheap. And it’s easy.

Just one youtube video about making one. Enter “fan screen mosquito trap” in youtube.

9 Likes

That’s about an 8’ radius. Not particularly wide if you ask me.

4 Likes

Oh, but then it wouldn’t be free from those nasty evil “chemicals”, would it?

Admittedly, the world really doesn’t need more CO2 emissions.

a universal USB port

Shouldn’t that be “a universal SB port?”

6 Likes

Neat, looks like this has even been commercialized: https://www.skeeterbag.com/

Boing Boing should sell these things instead.

2 Likes

So no more humans? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Centers for Disease Control calls them the world’s deadliest animal.

I’ve heard it said that mosquitos have killed 55 billion people.

1 Like

Exactly. The UV means this device will draw in a lot of other insects; benevolent ones, while missing most of the mosquitos without a CO2 concentrator.

You don’t need to generate CO2, just concentrate it. Have you ever made bread? Then you’ve generated more CO2 than this would.

5 Likes

I think its more likely a “Universal BS Port”.

5 Likes

Could it have anything to do with money?

2 Likes

Indeed it could. And @Edgar_Carpenter, technically, BB is not advertising this product. It is merely renting page space to StackCommerce whose home page’s first message is:

Monetize in a way that makes you proud

Not sure what pride level BB has in these crapgadget adverts, but they do generate page views and lots of comment, so there’s that.

1 Like