The most disturbing horror film of the season is Peloton's new commercial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/03/the-most-disturbing-horror-fil.html

2 Likes

Peloton means fearless in Finnish.

6 Likes

What cracks me up is she looks to be in incredibly fit condition before getting this marvelous gift that will presumably aid her in the journey to becoming incredibly fit.

I would think it would be more effective to film someone like me and my dad bod getting this thing gifted to me and showing the 6 month progress to losing said dad bod.

But I am not in advertising…what do I know.

18 Likes

Yeah, the need to document herself for (I’m assuming) social media as some kind of validation was sad, but the “She just said my name!” really pushes it into some kind of desperation for companionship. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I’m glad I wasn’t the only one feeling this ad was a little off when I first saw it.

12 Likes
23 Likes

I always forget you can watch videos in .25x speed now. I highly recommend it on this video. Considering the context of the post, it’s like some waking nightmare.

14 Likes

as someone who’s phone alarm tone is a shout out from an internet DJ, I’m a little ok with the commercial trying to obliquely hint at the social aspect of the live peloton classes. So I can see how on paper they are trying to hit on all the aspects of The Peloton Experience ™. Gimme Radio also tries to emphasize their community chat feature (though the gimme robot that spams it with “helpful tid bits about your favorite death metal bands!” basically drowns the chat… but I digress), so this level of engagement is buzzing, right now.

But when taken as a whole, this makes every car commercial creator say “well, at least we’re not as bad as Peloton!”

/also as Blur fan, I hate that they’re using this song, but Wendy’s used a Violent Femmes song so I’ve given up on that battle.

2 Likes

A E S T H E T I C !

It’s some creepy vaporwave business.

2 Likes

An entertaining NFSW (language) parody

27 Likes

Twitter yesterday was filled with people making jokes about this 108lb woman miraculously getting down to her ideal weight of 103lbs after only a year of incredibly hard work!

I suspect the target market isn’t “people who want to get in shape” but “men who want their (emotionally insecure) Hot Wife to stay Hot (and insecure enough to think they owe their hotness to their husband).”

25 Likes

Oh my, this is definitely the way this was intended to be watched!

That’s not Blur, it’s Tal Bachman. Blur has a song with the same title though (She’s So High).

2 Likes

Glad it wasn’t just me who was creeped out by this ad. Given the universal revulsion it evokes, I don’t understand how it ever made it out the door.

5 Likes

You know I too noticed she had this trepidation with her first class. I’m like, what? You would think you would be super jazzed for the first one. The 25th one will start to feel like a chore unless you see results.

I have to say having a live trainer is a good gimmick. Encouragement and a network of encouragement is a great way to keep doing something you aren’t thrilled about doing. Like my mom does water aerobics and she has enough people supporting her to go that she makes most every class.

2 Likes

Target markets, man.

It’s gotten tens of thousands of clever internet people to repost it, and approximately 0% of the folks on Twitter dunking on the ad are the people Peleton is selling to.

The ad seems a little aggro to me as well, but then again the idea of a $2,500 stationary bike is ludicrous to me too, so it’s not like this ad drove me away.

4 Likes

Unless one’s significant other is a big fitness enthusiast who would genuinely appreciate it, giving her an exercise bike is just as bad as getting her a vacuum cleaner…

SMH

12 Likes

That reminded me of this article that my daughter sent to me:

Short take, it can’t be proven that online advertising works but it’s like Tinkerbell, so many people are locked into clapping that they don’t dare stop.

6 Likes

whooops! Thanks for the catch!

1 Like

I think I saw a Cloverfield monster in the corner of her patio window.

7 Likes

That’s a good article. I think it was here on BB as well. It seems like there’s a data bubble going right now, where these companies imagine that if they just collect enough data on us, then it will be a gold mine. But there’s not a lot of evidence there’s a payoff at the end of that endeavor.

This Peloton ad makes my skin crawl. Her husband bought her a Peloton, both as a way to prompt her to stay in tip top shape, and as a way to get her away from him. She spends an entire year making a video about how grateful she is and how life-transforming her exercise equipment is, and then makes him watch it. What comes next?

We’re not suppose to speculate about people’s mental health here on the site, but I just really think those two need outside intervention.

8 Likes