The Muppets perform the entire first act of HAMILTON

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/10/the-muppets-perform-the-entire.html

1 Like

Only disappointed there’s no video of it, like there is with their masterpiece version of Bohemian Rhapsody (even predicting our future of web conferencing).

8 Likes

I couldn’t stop laughing from the start. The casting choices are excellent.

5 Likes

One of my favorite original series sequences. Rita Moreno and Animal: Fever

13 Likes

Okay. They have to do this now…

2 Likes

Really? The voices sorta ruined it for me. I thought they were pretty bad.

Great concept but lacking in execution.

5 Likes

It’s . . . not really the Muppets.
It’s one person who decided they could do Muppet voices, putting vulgarity in their mouths.
I am, shall we say, not charmed.

4 Likes

I love the muppets and like the idea…the issue here is harmony. One of the things that is so strong in musical productions and particularly with Hamilton is the harmony in the voices even if the styles might be divergent.

In this case it becomes a cacophony as opposed to something fluid.

The Muppets productions are normally very good about taking the disparate voice styles and harmonizing them…the theme song is a perfect example of that. It is a great chorus from using the character’s voices. They would need to capture this better for Hamilton redux.

5 Likes

I guess you could say they were forming a puppet government.

16 Likes

A well intentioned fan effort.

4 Likes

Very fun concept, but I’m not a fan of some of the choices made. Particularly choosing a chicken for Angelica. I know there aren’t that many female Muppets. At the same time, filling one of the best songs with clucking is disappointing. If it’s just a matter of not being able to rap fast enough, the same logic should have made Beaker the choice for Lafayette.

Good effort otherwise. This clearly shows some dedication.

2 Likes

mlp-fim-pinkie-pie-rimshot

8 Likes

Turned this on at dinner to share with the family. Despite some things being grating (like Gonzo as Burr and that freakin’ chicken), it prompted some big laugh out loud moments for us. We didn’t listen to the whole thing, but we listened to enough. I guess it’s fair to say it was effort well spent.

While we’re on the subject of ponies, how about this fan video?
(To people who don’t follow MLP:FiM, they had an episod with kirins who had silenced themselves. The song explains a lot of it. And don’t let the stick-kirin art style turn you off!)

(And yes, there was a visual Hamilton ref in the episode!)

According to some, the lead part in the original was already being performed in a muppet voice.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.