The Myers-Briggs personality test deemed expensive and silly

Eh, I found it described my personal personality weirdnesses fairly well, and people with similar letterings are similarly weird.

Nothing too deep about it. If you answer questions a certain way, it implies a certain mindset. OK. Fair enough.

By what, certified but not medically qualified ā€œLife Coachesā€?

Ok, I liedā€¦I said I was done, but Iā€™m not.

Dude. I canā€™t stand ā€œLife Coachesā€ any more than you can. They are MOSTLY idiots with absolutely no training, nor success at life but think they can help others. At least as a therapist with training, we may not have our lives in order, but we know the scientific route to get where we need to be in the end.

When I received my training, the MBTI people (the official company) asked for my credentials before I could sign up from training. This meant showing at least a masters degree from a credentialed university that allowed for licensure in one of the behavioral or mental health fields. I was able to take an undergrad to a lower level training ā€“ not allowed to do interpretation, but allowed to give the exam (which the computerized version pretty much made irrelevant).

Life coaches should not be giving these sorts of instruments. Not because these are that deep of instruments, but because they are likely to make shit up that isnā€™t there. Just like the MBA / Lawyer that tried to give one of these at my university during HR training and I informed him that he wasnā€™t qualified and could actually be in violation of law for giving it (which actually freaked him out when I gave him my background). Again, I donā€™t believe in using this in work situations.

Edit: There is no certification or education required for ā€˜life coachā€™. It is a made up profession that has no academic backing what so ever.

2 Likes

I think the key to being a successful life coach is to sign up some wealthy narcissists and reassure them that they really arenā€™t the little shits everyone says they are.

1 Like

Actually? I should have done just this back in the day. In the field we had a name for these people with no issues except the fact that they only made $50k overnight on the investment as opposed to $100k ā€“ YAVIS. Ok, not the name Iā€™d give them, but yeahā€¦these are the people to work for :frowning:

1 Like

Hah! Look at the Wikipedia error in the summary that pops up from embedding the link:

In the embedded version:

In other words, individuals with these characteristics are assumed to represent a psychopath

On the Wikipedia page:

In other words, individuals with these characteristics are assumed to represent a psychotherapistā€™s ā€œideal patient.ā€

Note that the error completely reverses the meaning, which was why I caught it.

Otto Rank was like a son to Freud before they split, and part of the scuttlebutt afterwards was that Freud emphasized finding the wealthy cash cow patients, who he regarded with contempt.

3 Likes

Yet Freud founded the field of psychotherapy which you need qualification in to do the testing.

Welcome to credential hell children.

The reason you need qualification is because the general public uses our terminology differently than others. Hell, even within the field sometimes terminology is used differently depending on the school of thought you are talking about. I mean, look at how introvert is used in different settings. Jungian thought has nothing to do with what the general person thinks, nor is it what Freud thought. I pretty much dismiss anything Freud says while understanding he was the reason the field is in the shape it is now, however he considered introverts to be stunted narcissists. Freud thinks it was someone that gets their energy from within while others take their energy. And the general public think of introverts as idiots that argue on the internet.

It is why at one point you needed to be licensed to even get a hold of a copy of the DSMā€¦too many idiots read too much into words we use as descriptive of a trait, where as the public uses as a description of the person as a whole.

That said, do you complain when your surgeon has to be credentialed?

2 Likes

Not at all. I was merely making an observation.

I have had 4 knee surgeries and Iā€™m going for a consult for my 5th in two weeks, and assure you I demand not only credentials but an extensive history of practice from my osteopath.

Each time Iā€™ve been to bouts of psychotherapy Iā€™ve come away with the haunting feeling those doctors had no clue what to do next and were keen to medicate.

When Freud threw Adler out of the Vienna Psychoanalytic Society around 1912, he cited Adlerā€™s use of language that defied Freud. Of course, Freudā€™s ideas at that point would have fit on the back of a stamp, and of those Freud would quietly later pretend many of them never happened. And of course he later grabbed several key ideas from Adler after trying to ruin him. The analytical techniques of Rank, Adler, Ferenczi, Jung, or Horney would seem quite modern while Freudian psychoanalysis of the period would seem like the quackery of a cult, whcih in many ways it was.

Freudians were still trying to shout down everyone else into the 1960s, when the rest of the world basically decided to move on without the Freudians if need be. It was only in the 1960s that people like Jacobsen could stray a little bit from blaming everything on ā€œthe primal sceneā€ without being assassinated professionally. Only then could we address radical ideas like having and alcoholic father or a schizphrenic mom just might make a difference.

3 Likes

The sad part is, quite a bit of our field is guesswork and I hate to say this. The imaging we would need to be able to map brain cells without killing you isnā€™t here. And it sucks.

I came from a practice that did not like the idea of medication and slowly changed my mind. Part of it was that I took time away from the PhD to get a biochem undergrad as I felt I needed more science and wanted to go to med school as I thought it might give me more scientific grounding, but it didnā€™t. The more I learned, the more I realized that sometimes meds are necessary. When are they necessary? We donā€™t always know. The best we can do is to give second rate meds that wonā€™t do permanent damage vs. 1st rate meds that will either get you on your feet or fuck you up worse forever.

So you are right. The field is really one of the last frontiers of medical science, one that is getting better every day but is fraught with a lot of guesswork. Not that many in the field I love will admit. Actually, when I did practice, Iā€™d explain this pretty much the same way and being honest about our limitations often made the limitations a bit more palatable

Freud was wrong about so many things. But he did ask for scientific rigor. Even if he didnā€™t use it himself. And his disciples moved against him because they did as they were taught by him. It would be nice to discard him as a complete quack, but he instituted change that was never there before.

2 Likes

One of the main reasons that Freud left a mark was that he had a couple sessions with some minor royalty like a Duke or something, and the fellow was so impressed he set Freud up with his own publishing house which was run by Rank. On the other hand there were people like Berliner who were enormously respected but wrote almost nothing. Probably a lot of people knew that it was best to write nothing to avoid the concentrated wrath of the Freudian mafia. After Freud dumped Rank and was rejected by Jung and Adler (who were not his students) his pupils did their best to erase Karen Horney. Significantly Freudā€™s star pupils were the intensely neurotic Anna Deutsch and Khan the sociopathic swindler. Deutsch is given credit for the ā€œas-ifā€ personality even though Adler was writing about it while she was still in medical school!

As on of my teachers call Freud. ā€¦sick man fraud.

Well everyone needs a patronā€¦otherwise we would never have heard of Dr. Phil.

This tells me that your teacher was more interested in trying to judge a man in a field that barely existed 100 years ago, vs. the knowledge we have today. We could call physicians of the time just as badā€¦I believe they were still using leeches to bleed ichors as far back as this time. Its easy to look back at the past and condemn it.

I do, however, condemn the idiots that still blindly follow his practice today.

The funny thing is that Ferenczi would have been Doctor Phil because he was pioneering the idea of accelerated therapy, and the rest were finding out how effective supportive therapy was compared to psychoanalysis. it wasnā€™t until the 60ā€™s that people like Bowen could show the value of very limited coaching without being assassinated by the Freudians by utterly refusing to accept questions from them, rather like I was refusing to be dragged into a debate on rape in another story. Anyway, Ferenczi died suddenly at age 60 from pernicious anemia and the Freudians tried to discredit his work by smearing him as mentally ill after his death!

Fair enough, but he did feel this was a funny way to get his point across.

Typical political moveā€¦

Well Kernbergā€™s obsession with Kohut seems a little silly now that Kernberg has lived him by 30 years. I like his work, but he still ties himself in knots to snub the people on Freudā€™s long enemies list!

But in @armozelā€™s case they seem to have been brow-beaten for extroversion?

Thereā€™s been a massive wave of articles and cartoons telling us how we should treat introverts in order to be better people (basically treat them like the world revolves around them, AFAICT), so perhaps with the advent of communication through screens, the introverts can now start laying into the extroverts?

1 Like