The naked hypocrisy of Game Of Thrones’ nudity

You know, you CAN like something, and understand the problems with it. I love GOT, even as I understand that there is some sexism in the show’s depiction of women. Liking GOT doesn’t make you a bad person, even disagreeing with the point of the article doesn’t make you a bad person. Basically, what @daneel said.

So because men “evolved” to be sexually attracted to women, we shouldn’t point out the power dynamics involved in that and how it tends to lead to women being treated as objects? That being said, one thing I think that books and generally speaking, the show, gets right, is the interesting women we are presented with. It’s not that all the women are perfect, strong, heroic, and awesome, but that they are human beings, with flaws and complexity, just like men. That’s something that is often lacking in literature/genre fiction, historically speaking.

Why is it forced if some fans of the show want to talk about that aspect of it? You can always avoid those discussions or explain why you think the author is wrong or what they are missing, and do so in a way that acknowledges the views of the individual. Why does your discomfort mean you get to try and shut down the discussion for those of us who find it valuable?

10 Likes