The naked hypocrisy of Game Of Thrones’ nudity

I did read (and understand) the article, but I think her opinion is either disingenuous, or lacking in self-awareness. If nudity isn’t shameful, what does it matter who is or isn’t nude?
There is a double standard when it comes to male vs. female nudity. But that has it’s roots more in how males respond to sexual stimuli than in gender politics. We are not the only species where one gender is attuned to visual stimuli, and the other is not. I think that if women were clamoring to see male nudity, we would be seeing it. But we won’t, because it’s not a matter of women becoming more “liberated.” Most women simply aren’t much interested in it, and for the most part don’t “get” it. It’s a very real biological difference. What could change, however, is people no longer thinking nudity is disgraceful.

Asked us all (or most of us) did you? Know precisely what we all think and like, well enough to make such broad sweeping statements, huh? Playing the old biology as destiny, eh?

Also, she never said nudity was shameful, rather that the reason why you see naked women as props on the show is due to a social constructed gender imbalance. She argues it’s a double standard. And doesn’t call for all the characters to be covered up at all time.

6 Likes

Yes, I am aware that some of the characters who are naked are not important to the plot. I was referring to the actresses who portray them.

The point is that they are portrayed in the show as objects.

1 Like

Could be worse; they could be wearing spandex.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Somewhere there is a man who would approach this subject with the perfect degree of sensitivity, but he won’t be commenting here because he’s too busy planning his gay wedding.

5 Likes

I’m making a boy band called “Male Gaze.”

2 Likes

Gale Maze.

3 Likes

Wow. I mean, wow.

What is life like on your planet, alien visitor?

13 Likes

Mansplaining to the Khalessi for a Feminist punk band?

3 Likes

Gale Maize?

9 Likes

Can we acknowledge all points have been made, and this is an inefficient way of discussing the issue? Or just get more awesome gifs from @Mindysan33?

Please direct all further conversations of male nudity to

And have your Hunk pics ready.

4 Likes

While I’m happy to keep giffing up the place, I do keep making the same responses, in varying degrees of snarkiness. But to be fair, it’s in response to the same answers time and again.

5 Likes

7 Likes

I suspect an organised astroturf initiative designed to get the community to employ flags more often. It’s called ‘the internet’.

1 Like

Aren’t they all?

I’ve read every comment in this thread. Do I get like a gold star or a banana sticker or something? My brain is so very tired.

6 Likes

Just look at it!

5 Likes

ACHIEVMENT UNLOCKED. STUBBORN PERSEVERANCE

:wink:

4 Likes