The naked hypocrisy of Game Of Thrones’ nudity

Why does it have to be an absolute? Isn’t it possible to enjoy something whilst still criticising it (or an aspect of it)?

And why do you think you’re being called a bad person?

6 Likes

What’s wrong with wanting to be filled to the brim with gratuitous T&A?

1. The narrative points to women being more than just objects, but the T&A objectifying women displays the hypocrisy in that narrative (or points to a hypocrisy that shouldn’t exist visually if it doesn’t exist narratively)
  2. It suggests that the story is weak enough to NEED gratuitous T&A
  3. It suggests that the motive of the viewers is largely to get their rocks off looking at T&A.
  4. It suggests that, because of that motive, the only people who should be watching the show are people who like T&A (ie, straight guys).
  5. It reinforces the idea that women are FOR T&A, whatever else they might be for.

And it does all this to an audience who, judging by your own replies, is critically fucking ignorant of the social effects of media.

I mean, educate yourself a little before you shoot off your internet-mouth.

7 Likes

Aristotle may have placed spectacle last on his list, but it did make it onto his very short list.

1 Like

I feel ashamed by this.

Hey. Waitasecond. Are you trying to shame people?

1 Like

It’s so much easier being an Uncritical Feminist, isn’t it.

2 Likes

The troubling phenomena treating other peoples’ bodies as spectacle should be baldly obvious in its dehumanizing cruelty to you. If it’s not, it’s clear we have to work on your empathy.

If you feel ashamed of your need to wank to GoT, that’s not really a problem I can help you with, brah.

4 Likes

Sorry, but no.

Actually, yes.

1 Like

I’m actually not anti-masturbation, either.

Also:

Spectacle
noun

anything presented to the sight or view, especially something of a striking or impressive kind: The stars make a fine spectacle tonight.

The best way to date when period dramas were made is to look at the female character’s hair styles. They tend to be contemporary with the production rather than period represented. So there’s no real reason to think that this would be limited to the hair on women’s heads.

Is it really that weird and conspicuous that a fantasy series that deliberately uses nudity as part of its appeal, to turn a profit no less, would use beauty ideals considered attractive today rather than whatever may have been considered attractive in a period used as inspiration for the setting?

1 Like

Well, I do believe I’ve been tarred with the “pervert” brush, which strikes me as a bit much. I’m also a bit skeptical of critiques that decry the nudity as gratuitous without similarly calling out the violence. I’m apparently a “pervert” for not being remotely bothered by any of the nudity, and for accepting the objectification as being part of the story rather than a celebration or endorsement of what we all ought to do. But when it comes to the flayings and beheadings and skull-squishings and assorted acts of scarlet mayhem, often performed by the closest things to heroic characters that the show possesses, there doesn’t seem to be much concern put forth that fans of the show are bloodthirsty maniacs who get off on such graphically explicit gore and violence. When a Stark lops off a head due to his sense of “duty,” is that a tacit endorsement of such a concept of leadership and honor? Or is it just an exotic and antiquated mindset that may actually be well-suited to the world of Westeros but not really something that anyone would reasonably recommend for 21st century Earth?

Is that not Fantasy for you? Are we really supposed to take fantastical representations of fantastical tales as endorsements for actual IRL behavior? Of course not. And if I’m a pervert for not being bothered by all that nudity, then fans who aren’t grossed out by the violence to the point of switching the show off forever are another kind of pervert altogether.

4 Likes

The main characters are people who spend a lot of their time on set, in makeup, on location, or traveling around to promote the show. They aren’t spending that time with a personal trainer. The naked extras are young folks who get spend a lot of time in the gym.

“True Blood” had a better balance of male/female nudity. But they never let Jessica get naked, because she made Sooky look like a troll doll. In fact, Jessica spent quite a bit if her time smeared with dirt, and they probably had to get creative to keep coming up with ways to make her less attractive.

Surely, you mean “her conclusion”. It’s a critique. It may be a well argued, persuasive critique, but it doesn’t become objective fact as soon as it is written down.

3 Likes

Was there a big demand for more male nudity? Because again, from what I’m reading, “Dick is abundant and of low value.”

CITIZEN:

You WILL report to deprogramming. Failure to comply WILL be punished.

The Elders have decreed that EMPATHY IS MANDATORY.

Maybe they could get Ewan McGregor to guest star.

4 Likes

Shaving and pubic grooming almost certainly pre-date history itself, given the archeological evidence, but we have solid documentation dating back to pre-Imperial Rome.

“They wear their hair long, and have every part of their body shaved except their head and upper lip.” -Julius Caesar, XIV Commentarii de Bello Gallico, 58 BCE

Caesar incorrectly ascribes the habits of the Cantii and Iceni to all the Brythonic tribes, but he is a first person eyewitness who saw these people buck naked.

When someone claims shaving is historically inauthentic, you can generally disregard anything else they claim to know about history.

4 Likes

I liked SNL’s theory:

2 Likes