The need for a functional left wing in US politics

And that allows for the alternate vision:

5 Likes

I’m tempted to edit the title to say, ‘The need for a functional left wing in global politics’.

Because except for a few places in Europe and South America, there’s nothing. Nothing but lip-service to the concept of opposition to the corporate plutocracy.

How bad does it have to fucking get, before we wake the fuck up? Occupy was great and all, but it seems to have fizzled - probably due in no small part to the fact that it brought hardly anyone on board who wasn’t already pissed off; the apathetic masses looked at the #OWS protesters and saw Other.

Fucking drones.

4 Likes

Costa Rica; Uruguay (Considered one of the best countries in the world, also had a badass Bernie Sanders ish president who legalized abortion, weed, and gay marriage before he died in 2015. DO YOU SEE WHAT WE COULD HAVE HAD PEOPLE!?!? DO. YOU! SEE?); Portugal; Iceland; Scotland (Especially if they keep going the direction they are heading in, become independent, and legalize abortions); Norway, Finland, and Denmark (if they can avoid the far right upswing); and maybe New Zealand (if they can pull back to the left, because they are kinda centrist right now).

Bonus round!

1. Nambia has been moving in the right direction, so far, but it still has a long way to go.
  2. Kurdistan? Kurdistan!?! Kurdistan! If it ever becomes a country the semi-autonomous region in what is still kinda Iraq has shown a great propensity towards viewing men and women equally, building up infrastructure, and focusing on democratic government. They still have a very hard path to travel, and yet they are already showing promise.
5 Likes

True, but freedom for whom? We see big businesses gaining freedom from federal regulations, and look were it brought us.

3 Likes

Us. Or you, if you prefer.

And slogans never stand up to scrutiny. But they are catchy, can resonate with people and when shouted loud enough can drown out nuance Which is how people like Orange Shitler gets power.
I’m riffing on what I see as American values and what, if anything, would be more powerful than nostalgia (Make America etc. etc. ) and have a broad appeal to the disaffected and the disillusioned. Because it’s going to take something like that to shift realities.

Flip it around.

Free to own our own shit, not just rent it. Free from exploitation. Free to breath clean air. Free to get a fair weeks wage for a fair weeks work.

I’m not a great political thinker or a clever mind. I’m not American. Shit, I don’t even vote. I’m just sounding out ideas here, sloganeering, rather than starting a political movement.
But I see freedom as a core value of America and I see it being taken away from Americans.

9 Likes

Memberberries.

Nothing’s more powerful than nostalgia, it seems. Maybe the key is to popularise the fact that the prosperity of the 50s and 60s can be traced directly (Piketty) to FDR’s New Deal.

There’s no freedom for the American populace while they’re at ransom to employers via healthcare being tied to employment, and there’s a gaping chasm of dread where there should be a social safety net.

Consider all the folks who would quit their shitty bullshit job and start a business if it wasn’t too risky to contemplate, for example…

7 Likes

'member chewbaaaccaaa…

Maybe. I made it about a dozen pages into Piketty before realizing I was way over my head, but I can see that. Problem I can see with the 50s and 60s is that for a lot of people, it wasn’t all that prosperous. The prosperity that springs to my mind when thinking about that period is whiter than a polar bear in a blizzard, ya know.
But there could definitely be a way of pitching that without the baggage that goes along with it.

Yepyep.
And if you’re trapped as working poor, running two or three jobs just to make ends meet and only an unexpected bill or two away from disaster, you might not have the time or energy for highly nuanced political debate.
Like, if you’re starving, you want a damned cheeseburger, not a lecture on crop rotation and the three field system.

Any functional left wing in the US is going to need to understand that and sell it.

6 Likes

One possible answer is that there is no singular ideological unifying cause, nothing to bind the left community across its various constituencies.

How about, we’re not here to fuck each other over as a default mode of existence.

Sums it up pretty nicely, IMO. Sure, the right will deny that’s their modus operandi, but come on.

8 Likes

But how is that any different from the right? I think that the main difference is that the right offers its followers simplistic problems and solutions. And they keep the rhetoric extremely superficial. Even between social and economic conservatism, or different schools of Christianity, it is easy to see that in-depth interpretations yield differing values and opinions - which can be learned about and celebrated, by those who are mature enough. The right-wing pretense of being united against the difference is a deception, and why such groups and individuals tend to be so averse to real debate and any social awareness beyond loyalty and dominance. Nothing can be about issues of any sophistication, because there is only room for reenforcing the hierarchy. But ironically, these people are convinced that they are “individualists” when the hierarchy permits them to exploit others.

Refusing to offer easy answers with token solutions makes the left’s job more difficult, but I think that it means reality is on our side. Because the real world is more complex and nuanced than instinctive human power dynamics prepare one for.

2 Likes

I agree with much of your desire for freedom. Although I think it needs to include “freedom from” as well as “freedom to”. That’s one of the areas where some freedoms OF - such as freedom of religion, can work against people and inspire a degree of conformism. For your examples, being free from such things as personal property and romantic love are needed to make life equitable and bearable. Also they need to be as valid for groups as they are for individuals. A commune can be free to collectively own their house without needing to create yet another hierarchical corporation. And they could be free to all marry each other, if they so chose. And freedom to not have a house, to be nomadic. These are all freedoms which sound like should be theoretically obtainable in the U.S., but which are deliberately prevented.

4 Likes

I think you should do with it what you like. Your idea of what an equitable and bearable life is sounds very cold, lonely and painful to me. But I’m happy for you to live as you see fit and I don’t see any reason to prevent you.:smiley:

5 Likes

FYI statements like this come off an insulting and judgmental. It reads as “anyone who doesn’t agree with me is delusional”.

Not a good way to encourage dialogue.

Now as to the core question at hand, for one thing, the fact that the “right” in the US generally does share some variety of Christian faith or at least a derived moral system is in fact a big unifying factor that goes beyond politics. It does seem that people consider the metaphysical as greater than secular differences.

7 Likes

And somehow I still took the he time to move the conversation along and answer @popobawa4u 'a question.

I find myself looking at Political compass again to try to find an answer.
(I know it’s not a great test, but I needed something and compared to all the others it’s OK. At least it looks outside the Overton Window.)

This is where every presidential candidate since 2008 (and more than a few from the primaries) roughly fits on to their chart (2004 didn’t use the same chart, but it still fits in this pattern). All parties should be recognisable by colour.

The blue in the Green party section represents Bernie Sanders and Dennis Kucinich, the red in the libertarian section is Ron Paul and the blue in the libertarian section is from when Mike Gravel swung to the right in 2008. The red and blue stripes is the area where both republicans and democrats have had candidates (it’s where Hillary was for this election).

Looking at this it is clear that the left covers far more ideological ground than the right even before you start including people who don’t really fit into the four biggest parties.

I could say more but I don’t have the time or energy right now, I have to get on with moving house.

7 Likes

Only if you count the corporate Dems as “left”, though.

Fortunately, the centre of American public opinion is closer to Bernie than Hillary; the Overton shift was a phenomenon of the parties more than the people.

2 Likes

Don’t you mean the media?

1 Like

Media, political parties: same owners.

3 Likes

Whenever someone criticises the left for not agreeing with each other, they include the corporate Democrats. I though It was best to include them to make my point.

I think that’s right too, It’s just how do we make the Democratic party leadership accept that?

1 Like