2 Likes

CHRONOPOMPadour

Beware the time clown...

7 Likes

Wow…thank you for that!

1 Like
2 Likes

https://krebsonsecurity.com

didn’t take long to get the site back up, did it?

2 Likes

I was kind of wondering if his email about it was a form of humblebrag.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d call it that. He has received a lot of grief from criminal factions over the years due to his reporting. He’s been swatted. He’s had drugs sent to his house and the police called.

It was the largest DDoS that anyone has recorded, and it’s kind of amazing people would burn a perfectly good bot net for that sort of petty revenge. Akamai actually did a good job keeping the site up during the attack as well. They spent enough money on it that they did say they couldn’t host him under their past arrangement, as they were doing it pro bono. 3 days later and the site is back online. Looks like it’s Google hosting it now?

5 Likes

I admit I’m not at my most charitable this weekend, having had an emergency power outage for 11 hours on Friday and then a planned power outage (which they informed us of by emailing us at 6:10am on a Saturday…seriously?) the following morning for a few hours to replace the temporary equipment fix with a permanent solution. How that affects this situation is that I was not delving into the vast majority of my emails that day, merely scanning the line or two visible on my phone to see what really couldn’t wait and had to take up precious battery use. What I saw was the sensational opener that the DDoS attack on him was the “largest in history”. Obviously, now that I’m back in modern civilization again I can see that he means the largest in his HOST’s history:

But according to Akamai, it was nearly double the size of the largest attack they’d seen previously, and was among the biggest assaults the Internet has ever witnessed.

I appreciate all the work he does. Even though I barely understand the info he provides, I have been on his email list for years. I know when someone is so brilliant at what they do that I should pay attention because even understanding a mere 5% of what they say is a valuable education. It just hit me wrong in the moment, that’s all. There are a lot of egos among those who understand and manipulate the internet, and I was uncharitably thinking: oh, sure, YOU’RE so important, in comparison to the major industries that have been hit these past few years.

Basically, that was just me being grumpy!

(I even sniped at a very good friend, who was doing me the great favor of buying food for takeout AND picking up my kid after she got back from an away game so that we could eat and recharge at their home.)

3 Likes

MOBILE HOLD

1 Like

2 Likes

And Mr. Robot seems to be gaining some traction. I’m only recedntly viewing and 2/3s of the way through S1 and just read through some of the reddit AMA with the “fsociety crew” and now I know about the Mr. Robot ARG which sounds like it came about in S2. Anyone looked into that? I’d like to dabble but since I am fairly far behind I don’t want to run into too many spoilers…but how can you avoid spoilers with the overwhelming urge to know all the theories that are out there, threads begging to be read…

2 Likes

Dude, that thing had a CD player, must have cost $1,000 in 80s money!

2 Likes