The new Apple campus has a 100,000 sqft gym and no daycare

You probably should realize that Halliburton treats its employees better. Just FYI.

And as a parent of 3, having off site daycare was not the opposite of your claim. My experience was not as you are claiming it should have been. Repeating that I am wrong when my actual life experience was in fact good and then just insulting me multiple times shows your character. good day.

1 Like

So what do you suggest? Companies stop growing, or move out when they get too big? Apple has been in Cupertino for 40 years, probably longer than you.

Many of those workers are bussed in, from San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Gilroy, Oakland, you name it. The bussing reduces traffic, and those people don’t live in Cupertino. I think the bigger issue is with the city council not addressing the issue by improving public transit and approving more housing being built. Apple paid 20% of Cupertino’s tax revenue. One company, 20%. I think they’re doing their part, and it seems that Cupertino is failing to utilize the funds appropriately. In fact, they whole Main Street Cupertino area appears to be positioned specifically to take advantage of the new campus, further concentrating traffic and people.

1 Like

With Apple, with their $250B war chest, why can’t they become their own insurance company and self-insure.
In addition, Apple already has a moderately sized army of lawyers who can help Apple avoid paying any claims.

4 Likes

This may actually be a good argument against having a daycare facility on site. Especially when combined with another comment about them providing daycare search services to employees to find locations.

Since onsite daycare is about reducing travel time, and they’re solving the travel time with busing from farther out, it’s not really compatible with adding kids to the commute. It’s different when everyone travels in on their own with plenty of excess capacity, plus all the travel requirements of kids.

Which all just shows, that arm chair quarterbacking is tough when you just look at one item and not the entire ecosystem. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Your experience of One only means that you were lucky if shuttling your children to off-site day care did not consume more of your day. The fact that this was “good” for you does not mean that it will play that way for everybody else as well.

On-site day care saves people time and allows them to spend more time with their family.

2 Likes

Then go work for a company that offers it if that is your most important work place need.

Yeah, but it’s not like they can’t afford it…

1 Like

It has one.

It’s over in the corner.

14 Likes

This is alarming.

What if hull integrity is lost?

Kneeknocker door sills are standard for a reason.

“3.2.1 Except as otherwise provided in these rules, the height of the sills of access openings in bulkheads at ends of enclosed superstructures shall be at least 380 millimetres above the deck.”

4 Likes

“The new Apple campus has a 10,000 sqft gym and no daycare”

Sounds like a ‘men-only’ message.

5 Likes

“Here at NASA we all pee the same color!”

-thats my favorite bit from Hidden Figures, and the idea can be generalized. If women are as important to keep as employees as men are, what’s so strange about doing what it takes to keep them?

If Apple only wants to employ childless workers, theres a bias there that applies to theor customers too.

7 Likes

While I agree with your sentiment that full work life separation is preferable, that’s not realistic for a lot of people. Traveling to day care can be a major burden, especially somewhere as hellish to navigate atlas the Bay Area. Many, many times there simply is no “family” to go home to or assist with childcare, transportation, housekeeping, etc.

My partner and I just had a baby three days ago. She works in a small company providing wilderness education experience with children. Very low margin, low revenue business. Still, they just moved to a new building in which they are designating a large, sunny room as a nursery. The mothers will contribute a small amount to have it staffed, but nothing like what they would have to pay for daycare.

They did not have to do this, nor is it at all easy for them financially. They simply prioritized it because it was the right thing to do and they can make it work. Apple has all the resources they could ever want to accomplish this. Hell they own like three whole blocks of Palo Alto and the campus is massive with lots of open space. They don’t have to do it, but they should.

10 Likes

I worked in the Valley for about 5+ years, and even though I doubled my salary moving in from out of state, the cost of living tripled. I just never understood the appeal of the Valley – it’s just one gigantic, fucktastic, horrifically ugly traffic jam; the Quality of Life perks beyond “come work for us 60-80 hrs/week, rake in a mediocre salary, and maybe if we’re viable and don’t go bankrupt we’ll give you a raise” are slim to none for people who don’t like driving for 1/2 hour to get to the grocery that’s only 1/4 mile away. And as for housing you can buy a fixer upper in East Palo alto for $750k.

I get recruiters from Apple pinging me from time to time, and even had a particular Apple engineering group informally offer me a job, but there’s no way I would move back, unless of course they gave me a salary and a sign-on big enough to put a down on a house within a reasonably short distance from campus.

1 Like

On site day care makes it easier to spend time with your kids at home, because you’re not spending time traveling to pick them up and drop them off.

Now, if you’re lucky enough to have a conveniently located off-site child care provider, that might not be a big deal. But if taking the kids to and from childcare adds 20+ minutes each way to your commute (totally possible in big cities), on site child care starts looking really, really nice.

Plus getting to eat lunch with your kid is fun.

9 Likes

But what about when you have to decide between doing your job and taking care of your kids? Sometimes, having a day care when you have no other options is very useful and helpful.

I do take your point about leaving, but leaving at the end of the day isn’t really the problem, it’s often the work day that’s the problem for many working parents (especially women).

12 Likes

Meh, who cares about women, or anyone else that isn’t him for that matter?

Like the man said, his kids “turned out okay…” and I guess that’s all that matters to some people; that they themselves are personally unaffected, and screw everyone else.

7 Likes

One day they’ll make a thread to end all threads. It’ll be something about gun-control and Apple with kittens in Gaza Strip and you know Batman v Superman wasn’t all bad and it’s time to re-think the flat-tax with a dash of Joss Whedon is over-rated, ect… It will be a glorious thread– a real honey-pot of opinions.

I cannot relate to the mom vs dad perspective well. I get that it is there (in that I understand you saying especially women).

In my household dad (me) does most of the “gotta run and pick up the kids for XYZ reason”. My campus is in town, mom commutes 30 or so min to work. My employer is very understanding of child care needs and allows incredible flexibility to work schedule as a result. Mom works in 3 public schools so she cannot simply take off at a moments notice.

I also have my one job, mom has hers as well as a photography business - so she often is running around for various other commitments. My second job is taking care of the house and being a soccer coach.

I am not against a workplace having on site day care, it is simply not a high priority IMO. I would much rather have a decent salary, annual bonus, excellent 401k match, profit sharing, etc.

Someone above mentioned “having lunch with your kids”. I do that now. I occasionally leave work and go eat with them at school, or pick them up and take them out.

Guess I am just fortunate to have that kind of work environment and opportunity.

I don’t know if the 66% of the OP comprising a pre-emptive strike against would-be Apple defenders was meant to include me (yes, I did a word count) (using BBEdit, obviously), but I did recently post a comment of the sort it seemed to be aimed at.

I have no interest in defending Apple’s lack of daycare, so I certainly hope words weren’t being implicitly put in my mouth. I’m quite precious about people putting stuff in my mouth, and I don’t know where those words have been.

I do defend Apple sometimes, because in certain ways I wish other companies would follow their example. If someone’s all “tech companies are corroding privacy, and Apple is the biggest tech company, so they’re the worst offender”, yes I’ll dispute that, not because I imagine Tim Cook is my secret boyfriend, but because it’s the opposite of the truth in a way that jams useful conversation.

I apologise if I have been unduly dickish or presented as an Apple fanboi; I do try to monitor myself for that sort of thing. We’re all capable of over-investing in partisan points of view if we don’t check ourselves now and then.

1 Like