The new Deep Fakes are in and they're spookily good

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/11/or-is-it-memorex.html

2 Likes

Déjà vu: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/04/faked-video-gets-much-better.html

3 Likes

So what color is this guy’s hat? I mean, I guess if they’re posting info about how they’re doing it all, that’s at least grey. I mean, at least part of the benefit of this research will be helping us to continue to tell fakes from reals in the future, right? Right Zollhöfer?

3 Likes

I find it strange how quickly CGI ages; how soon our eyes become attuned to the next iteration and the previous one looks fake by comparison. I guess that, eventually, this stuff will become truly “life like”, at which point… [shrugs]

5 Likes

What’s truly amazing is that they made @doctorow’s head say @frauenfelder’s words!

11 Likes

The are plenty of black hat uses, sure. But there are also some pretty cool white hat uses, too!

For instance, remember the scenes in Forrest Gump where they put historical people in to interact with Forrest. This could be done much better now (the scenes, to me, have aged remarkably well in that movie, but they are obviously fakes).

Another usage is video games. Cut scene animation with a NPC telling you what to do next could be made MUCH more realistic and life-like, which I personally can’t wait to see.

2 Likes

With any powerful tool, there is potential of abuse.

Once a genie is out of the bottle, you can’t put it back totally.

3 Likes

at some point closing my eyes is going to be the most realistic view that I can get.

3 Likes

Agreed.

The internal combustion engine has led to some of the most horrific warfare the world has ever known.

But it also let me get to my grandma’s bedside for one last goodbye before it was too late.

6 Likes

I am reminded of this passage from John Brunner’s The Jagged Orbit (1969):

At long last a human voice emerged from the speaker adjacent to the exit of the skimmer-park. The compatibility of the automatic voices was as good as any Flamen had ever heard, but his nervous sensitivity to subtleties of this order was among the talents which had kept him afloat, albeit precariously, in the world of vu-transmissions long after his former rivals had capsized. In fact he had once broken open a major bribery scandal through recognizing that a custom-tailored automatic was answering calls for a man who ought not to have been able to afford such equipment.

Google Books

Update: added year of publication.

6 Likes

I appreciate that they just went ahead and made Putin say Obama’s words to acknowledge “yep, we know what you’re thinking this will be used for”.

2 Likes

So fake news will be real. Wait, no. Real news will be fake.
Tell me again why this is a good thing?

1 Like

Because something something grandmother’s house. And Forrest Gump!

2 Likes

Developed just in time for the Commander of Cheese’s dismantling of democracy.

2 Likes

2020/2024 social media poisoning is going to hit some seriously toxic levels with this - and just imagine how government-level users like China, North Korea, etc. are going to use it on their people (well maybe not North Korea since no-one has TV or internet there)

I doubt they will be able to write a fake video detector that works well or that anyone will care to believe days later

3 Likes

Is there one of Donald Trump saying 2+2=4?

I wonder if the only answer is cryptography built into cameras?

Perhaps a graphic which displays a computed hash for each frame, displayed as a QR code which is dependant on a chain of trust back to the manufacturer?

4 Likes

So “Pretty Boy Crossover” is happening?

1 Like

Meh. The effects for Jurassic Park are still better.

2 Likes

Yeeeah, I don’t think we’ve made it through the woods yet…

1 Like