The new Disney cartoon: DeSantis!

Originally published at: The new Disney cartoon: DeSantis! | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Man kicks himself in the beans 2-3 times a day.

10 Likes

And every time he does, he gains 100 votes.

ETA: Where do you think he gets his ideas?

That’s the joke I should have gone with.

7 Likes

Governor #DeathSentence

6 Likes

6 Likes

That’s pretty out of date for both areas. The latest is that Florida had about 74,000 Covid deaths, compared to 876 in Taiwan. Point still stands though.

8 Likes

Gracias mi Amigo.

7 Likes

I take a little umbrage about lumping in Br’er Fox and Br’er Rabbit. I don’t believe they were on a plantation, and they were pretty faithful retelling of the original folklore, which was mostly African Folklore fused with Native and American/European stories.

But overall, the point stands.

1 Like

The movie took place on a southern plantation though. And it was controversial for some of its racial stereotypes and messages even at the time it was released in 1946.

5 Likes

It’s the framing that was the problem, and that these west African stories were for the edification of white children only… That whole fucking film was trash. Plus, Joel Chandler Harris stole those stories from the people his family had enslaved and profited off of them.

6 Likes

There’s a really good miniseries of the You Must Remember This podcast that grapples both with this movie and with the stories of Joel Chandler Harris. The upshot is both of these takes are myths (no shade cast here, I also held these views until well into my adult life), and neither the stories or the movie are as benign as Disney would like us to believe.
https://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/tag/Song+of+the+South

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.