The new Lumberjanes book is sweet and badass, with a hell of a monster

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/18/the-new-lumberjanes-book-is-sw.html
Books one and two of Lumberjanes introduced us to the characters and setting of the awesome, women-run, girl-positive comics: the girls of Roanoke cabin at Miss Quinzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for Hardcore Lady Types are Lumberjanes, being trained in the badass arts. Book three – collecting comics from a kind of victory lap of the title after its amazing success – turned the series’ reins over to some of the best writers and illustrators in comics-dom for a series of vignettes. Now, with Out of Time, the fourth book, the original creative team are back at the helm, telling a long-form story that illuminates the Lumberjane backstory and introduces one of the best, scariest monsters of cryptozoologica.

1 Like

I generally try to avoid doing “me, too!” type of replies, but this series really is wonderful. My four-year-old noticed it at the comic book store when I was picking some things up, and we both love it.

It’s nice to have comics like this one, where I can transition my kid from the picture books that are too short and simple for her at this point, but she still gets bored when I try to read books that have no pictures to her. Most of the titles pitched at her age are survivable for me as the parent, like the My Little Pony or Strawberry Shortcake books, but they don’t bear up to the repeated readings that a four-year-old still wants (at least for me). Lumberjanes I can read to her again and again. Super fun.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.