The new Tapplock smart lock is a huge improvement over the old one

Seriously, though. Sometimes you’ve got room to spare on the loop part. Why not cut there, even if it takes two cuts?

Well, that was disappointing. He bought four of the locks. Bandsaws one of them in half. Delcares it better. The end. He didn’t even bother to find out why he couldn’t simply twist off the back to see if there was another super simple way to get it off.

4 Likes

WIth this guys endorsement I wouldn’t touch this lock.

He should have told us what tests he was going to do at the outset. I stopped watching after he sawed it open without regard for the battery or disassembly.

A systematic investigation would start with frying the internals, then seeing how that latching mechanism fails.

I saw showmanship and high-tech hype. Neither will keep your lock’s secure.

4 Likes

Indeed, an entire hand might really come in…

convenient.

1 Like

Taking the finger is practical, but taking the whole hand teaches a lesson.

I do wonder about throwing an assortment of 1s and 0s at the charging port, or other possible side channel attacks.

There’s only red and black wires in this charging port, so the odds of it being a data port are very close to zero.
tappcharge

2 Likes

And throw a filter on the charging lines and you’ve ruled out any hope of using the charging port for a data port.

Since this appears to use a solenoid, not a motor, to release the lock (based on the unlatch speed) I think the best chance for success are to drill through the case at the precise location and to the precise depth of the solenoid control lines. Then use external power to enable/disable it. A dedicated thief then would have a common toolset for defeating all Taplocks of this type.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.