The new Tapplock smart lock is a huge improvement over the old one

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/28/the-new-tapplock-smart-lock-i.html

2 Likes

Send one to Bosnian Bill or the LPL

11 Likes

I wonder if they didn’t just make the rear panel bayonet off clockwise instead of counterclockwise. That’s what Motorola did on their cellphone screws, back in the nineties.

7 Likes

My first thought too. After cutting I was hoping he’d look at the threads and confirm the direction, but the design seems solid enough even if the back was removed. Win?

2 Likes

So has this guy been made an “influencer” for Tapplock now?

2 Likes

take fancy bandsaw … cut off hand of owner of the lock … and you now have both a new lock and a interesting conversation piece on your keychain.

7 Likes

You only really need the finger.

6 Likes

You are right. Taking the whole hand is really over doing it.

4 Likes

He didn’t try to crack the electronic lock using electronics. I guess that’s not his thing, but there is a charging port right on the bottom. Send some voltage through it!

2 Likes

The charging port is highly unlikely to open the lock with high voltage. The lock appears to be driven by a gearmotor, which would be controlled by the computer circuit board. At best you’d disable the lock from being opened in the future.

2 Likes

How about putting some respectable Amps in it?

2 Likes

Like this? Jump to 9:22

7 Likes

@frauenfelder
His is name is Zack Nelson, not Jerry.

Although you never know when you might need a hand.

3 Likes

What if the owner has cunningly used a non-default finger? Better take both hands just to be sure.

1 Like

What about toes?

2 Likes

5 Likes

It’s quite a low bar for a padlock (especially an expensive one) to be merely secure against brute force by some guy. That ought to be a given.

To establish whether it’s actually a good lock, we’d need to see how it fares against someone who knows something about defeating padlocks. From what I understand, they’re intrinsically harder to get right than other types of lock since there are more angles of attack, even without considering all the digital attacks introduced by a smart lock.

1 Like

Hooray iterative tinkering based on respectful criticism and dialogue!

2 Likes

Close enough… still holding out for a nice electrical arc, though.