The New York Times has the dope on cannabis use in Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/16/the-new-york-times-has-the-dop.html

3 Likes

I just scored a free-bee cano cookie from the local shop, going to munch as soon as I get home.

That’s the Papasan dope report for today, OUT!

12 Likes

Just so I’m clear on this, you’re saying you’re not eating it right now?

10 Likes

Yes, I am not eating right now. But in 59 minutes it will be an option hard to resist…

9 Likes

“Given that we still know very little about the long-term hazards of using cannabis, compared to booze or tobacco”

Nonsense. We know a lot about it, it’s one of the oldest cultivated plants and probably the oldest medicine used by humans, its use has been documented going back thousands of years.

9 Likes

Nonsense. We know a lot about it, it’s one of the oldest cultivated plants and probably the oldest medicine used by humans, its use has been documented going back thousands of years.

I look forward to reading the peer-reviewed research papers on the potential carcinogenic properties of cannabis - and whether the deep-inhale often used has any impact on such - that was published by the ancient Mayans. Pretty sure it’s stored with their calendar that predicted the apocalypse.

But sure, maybe I’m being unfair. As you’ve noted, marijuana has been used for centuries. Just like rhino horn.

And I say this as someone looking forward to making some weed-infused honey this coming weekend. Just because something has been used in the past, doesn’t mean it doesn’t warrant additional study, especially when misinformed drug policies has discouraged research into the substance.

8 Likes

The legal age also varies by province, going as low as 18 years.

2 Likes

Correct.

Manitoba even went a confusing route and kept alcohol at 18 years and made pot legal at 19 years. Not sure about the other provinces.

edit: phrasing

1 Like

Manitoba is the only province with different ages for cannabis and alcohol. The others all have the same age for both.

Worth noting that the 30 gram possession limit is for possession in public places - you can have a larger stash at home, but you have to obtain it in individual shopping trips of 30 grams or less.

Also potentially interesting re the elimination of the black market - the legal market, in its early years, is expected to meet less than half of the current demand. So the black market is not going to go away overnight.

1 Like

No one who travels to and from the US should be. :sunglasses:

Doug Ford, who did a past-last-minute change from the planned sale at provincially-owned LCBO liquor stores to his bumblefuck online store (no real stores until April 1st), is accusing the Federal government rushing the legalization. :rofl:

eta: He’s really made a hash of things.

3 Likes

Just went to our first legal store in our area of Cali…

3 Likes

Some years ago, Quebec finally joined the rest of North America and allowed drivers to turn right on a red light (outside Montreal, where you still can’t do that). What happened? No-right-on-red signs started popping up at intersections all over the place.

Same deal with cannabis. Municipalities are already loading up on by-laws to keep the devil’s cabbage off the streets and behind closed doors. At least Montreal will allow smoking in parks, which is nice.

Quite a few more years before that, the Quebec government made itself the monopoly retailer of wine and spirits. For decades, the drill was that you went into a dim, grim store, filled out a form stating what you wanted, and a cheerless clerk would fetch it from the back. Customers were not allowed to touch the product, or even see it before leaving with their brown paper bag. These stores (and similar ones in Ontario) were phased out sometime in the 70s – I still vaguely remember going to one with my parents.

Aaaaand this is the model we’re going to use for cannabis, only with brighter lights and some green paint.

I also understand that special efforts have been made to squeeze any remotely enticing language out of product descriptions. Weed. Is. Not. Fun. Understood?

Oh, and our new Trump-lite premier is going to raise the legal age to 21 (drinking age will remain 18, because who gets in trouble with ethanol?). And no home-growing for you!

Although it’s nice that we’re getting a form of legalization, the deep puritanical streak found in this supposedly fun-loving, easy-going, party-happy province is both baffling and disturbing.

4 Likes

“It is fine.”

Bwahahahahahahah!!!
Nothing’s gonna change.
Most of us are already there - have been for years.

i’m hungry

1 Like

Here you go then: (not Mayan, but real science)

2 Likes

I can’t help but wonder if they should have decriminalised it rather than legalise it.

Funny since it has been widely suspected that he was a fairly high level purveyor himself at one point.

1 Like

Nah, time to abandon the whole enforcement apparatus and focus on actual crimes with victims. Decriminalizing just makes it a mixed message.

Seriously, the police have better things to do than hassle young people about some weed.

2 Likes

Then it kinda sucks that Canada’s legalization looks (to me) like a make-work project for cops. There will now be fewer criminal infractions, but there are going to be plenty of ways to run afoul of the new rules and get yourself fined. And there’s been a LOT of “won’t someone think of the children???” about the whole thing, so hassling young people is definitely still going to be on the police agenda.

1 Like

This will probably greatly benefit the sublegal purveyors until at least April. That stupid online store won’t handle demand, and the relaxed legal position will increase the sales.

Paying off some old debts?

1 Like