The notorious can-opener bridge teaches truck driver a lesson

This rental truck driver actually applied his brakes before colliding with the beam. Quite unusual for the 11 foot 8 bridge.

8 Likes

Hence my question about whether there was already a thread I could direct folk to. I swore there was one.

The buses like to troll inattentive truck drivers, for that matter. “Hey, that bus made it through, no prob**CRASH**”

4 Likes

Yeah, the “speeding truck” one was… a couple weeks ago, I think? Probably the one you are thinking of.

1 Like

Graphic design challenge: create signage for this bridge that people actually register and heed.

1 Like

The railroad company owns the crash bar, not the city.

1 Like

Hear me out…
Maybe the rental was an empty truck, paid for by Miller Lite, Brewed With The Highest Quality Ingredients Since 1973!

/s? or /latestagecapitalism? or just /monday?

4 Likes

I blame the US not using the metric system.

5 Likes

You’re right. And the railroad company that owns the land and the bridge is owned in turn by the state of NC. However you look at it, that peeling paint screams “screw it, we’re done here”.

3 Likes

The real problem here isn’t the height of the bridge, which is clearly marked, it’s the truckers who are clearly clueless about the actual height of their trucks!
Here in the U.K. most bridges with restricted height are indicated well in advance, and some, including one a few miles from me, have sensors in advance of the bridge which register the height of the truck and flash warnings telling the driver to stop and seek an alternative route.
Also there are satnav apps that can be set to show restricted heights for high vehicles.
Still, you can’t legislate for crass stupidity.

3 Likes

That’s why most of the people crashing there seem to be driving rental trucks.

6 Likes

He’s not getting his deposit back.

5 Likes

It looks like they narrowly avoided several thousand dollars worth of improvements to the city’s drinks supply.

3 Likes

“Up to $10,000 FINE for striking the guard bar”

Make the “$10,000 FINE” part light up, flash, something to draw attention to it.

Even if they don’t have the authority to impose such a fine, put the sign up anyway. $0 is “Up to $10,000”.

Or just something like this so that the truck physically hits something before it enters the can opener:

3 Likes

The loss/damage waiver would not normally cover this type of damage- the driver intentionally ignored the warning signs and drove into the crashbar.

One of the comments on the video itself said “maybe the driver of the truck thought the lights were for the semi behind him?”

The topic is discussed, extensively, in every thread about the Durham 11-8 bridge.

4 Likes

The can opener is just a really souped-up version of those things.

And it’s working. The trucks don’t hit the bridge.

3 Likes

I just spotted advertising potential… Get a full trailer with your company logo. Buy an old, over height truck used that is on it’s last legs. Crash your junker into the bridge all spectacular like, and then drive your other truck right - pause for the camera to get that logo in there - and bam - free advetising fromy your viral video.

2 Likes

that last truck wasn’t even close.