The “NOW That's What I Call Music” Dad Rock compilation will haunt you

Originally published at: The "NOW That's What I Call Music" Dad Rock compilation will haunt you | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Seems awfully random and unfocused.

18 Likes

Spotify playlist: Spotify

6 Likes

No Led Zepplin, Doors, Jimi, Janis, King Crimson, CCR, Jim Croce, Zappa, Moody Blues…? Not my list.

22 Likes

7 Likes

Seems to stretch over about the same lifespan as portable music recordings on cassettes through CDs. I guess this proves that music fashions will never really die again since digital came along.

6 Likes

No, because the whole concept seems obnoxiously centered on white folks. And on male parents. I mean, for starters, can there be no such thing as Mom Rock?

26 Likes

Yeah, but perhaps the CD shouldn’t be programmed by these people…

4 Likes

For a long time, Bachman-Turner Overdrive’s Taking Care of Business would be first on my mom’s Mom Rock list.

18 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with these selections, but only ask and you shall receive:

I’d be very interested to see the mom rock playlists of the bbs moms. I’m guessing more Laibach than Jackson Brown.

19 Likes

Lynrd Skynrd has no business being in a list with Roxy Music.

26 Likes

Perhaps follow “Sweet Home Alabama” with “Prairie Rose”?

4 Likes

I’ll have to admit, 85% of that list would make me chuck the CD out the window.

Over It Help GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

28 Likes

To answer Thom’s question, I think of Wilco as “Dad rock,” but that’s because they’re mature, complicated, consistent, and resolute in their mission to rock (but just hard enough), like a good dad aught to be.

Now, this CD? The track list pains me. Like, it hurts us, precious.

18 Likes

That’s “Dad Rock” for ya.

6 Likes

It certainly looks like a triumph of available licences over artistic vision.

36 Likes

85% of any NOW album would probably make you hoy the disc like a frisbee to see how far it goes.

14 Likes

Who else but male parents would a thing called “Dad Rock” be centered on?

7 Likes

Gender non-conforming dad parent rock

8 Likes

It’s up to 107 in the UK
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Now-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-107/release/16279552

15 Likes