The Occult Defence Agency Budgeting Simulator: a text adventure that pits monster-slaying against austerity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/05/brexit-vampires.html

2 Likes

So i wonder if this game includes the real-world mechanic of Tory cuts being so idiotic they start increasing the overall budget due to the knock-on effects of austerity, giving many negatives with no positives…

4 Likes

The Laundry Video Game, then.

8 Likes

Yup. I immediately thought of Charles Stross’ “Laundry Files” books when I read this.

6 Likes

As used by the NHSBPP.

1 Like

It’s over a decade now since somebody asked Charlie at a con what he’d like to see of his stuff on the Big Screen, and he said he’d really like to see the Laundry as a TV series, to deafening applause.

Considering that Netflix is down to revamping Archie’s Sabrina to find paranormal material, I have no idea whatsoever why this obviously brilliant idea never happened.

4 Likes

This could never happen in America, because here the agency is under the Department of Defense, and they never cut the budget for anything. Probably somebody well-connected out there still has a lucrative contract for black powder.

3 Likes

There should also be a ‘Northamptonshire Council’ power-up where you receive extra money after bankrupting your organisation for simply being on the right team:

3 Likes

Come on. I’m sure G4S can do a perfectly adequate job of keeping shoggoth-related metrics within contractual bounds with private sector efficiency. This should be trivial.

3 Likes

That is the most terrifying concept for a horror movie I’ve ever read.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.