The only good "Q" is a Star Trek "Q"

Based on the latest trailers for the new Loki show there’s a whole lot of convoluted temporal chicanery and branching timelines, so the “correct” sequence of events in Loki’s past really is anyone’s guess.

5 Likes

Maybe the new Loki show will finally cover the story of that time that Loki turned himself into a sexy mare as part of a plot to help Asgard cheat a contractor and ended up giving birth to the eight-legged horse seen briefly in the first Thor movie.

KInd of weird that the kid has to lug his grandpa around like that but that’s Asgard for you.

10 Likes

The only episodes more tedious than Q are the parallel universe episodes.

2 Likes

I always enjoyed the Ollie North reference in that clip. They don’t outright say it’s him, but the Iran-Contra hearings were fresh in everyone’s minds at the time.

3 Likes

Oh dear, I see someone isn’t feeling very merry.

merry-man

20 Likes

Personally, I must confess that the very last episode of Star Trek I ever watched – in any incarnation – was the first appearance of Q.
Total shark-jump.
Or, as Monty Python’s major might say: “It just got silly!”

1 Like

You’re saying the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation was sillier than the original series?

Did you even watch the original series?

kirk-vs-gorn

18 Likes

I did watch. When I was four.

1 Like

Well…I don’t think I’ve seen that first episode of Trek II since it aired, but as I recall, it isn’t really one of their best.

ETA: Nothing against De Lancie or Q, but the character’s appearances (and the series in general) got better later.

6 Likes

Like many shows it took a little while for TNG to really find their footing. “Encounter at Farpoint” still wasn’t any sillier than the original series though. If the idea of the Enterprise encountering a godlike alien being ready to judge humanity seemed too far-fetched then you probably weren’t a big Star Trek fan to begin with.

11 Likes

You’re making an assumption about my problems with the episode. It’s not that it was far-fetched. It’s that they had already done quite similar things before in the original series more than a few times and it was a rather portentous series opener.

3 Likes

I was responding to @BrittPonset 's suggestion that the first appearance of Q is when Star Trek “got silly.” I do agree the show got better over the first couple of seasons as the writers found their own groove instead of aping the formula of the original series.

5 Likes

“He [Q] is kind of a dick.” – my husband

“Wild card” is just PC for dick-ish. :wink:

7 Likes

Risa or Borg cube; not a lot of grey area

1 Like

Definitely a dick. But recall in “All Good Things” he turns out to be the dick who gave humanity a chance of survival against the judgement of the rest of the collective. So, like Loki, he’s a trickster god who can occasionally be a problematic ally as well as a threat.

11 Likes

It certainly got less silly. A lot less. But let us never forget that Dr. Crusher did it with a ghost during the final season.

2 Likes

One of my favorite parts of the show was the scene from “Little Rascals” when Captain Picard, trapped in a prepubescent body due to a transporter malfunction, has to convince a Ferengi guard to let him see his “father” (Commander Riker) by staging a temper tantrum.

9 Likes

You forgot Major Boothroyd, damnit!

Desmond Llewelyn:

3 Likes

This Q is okay by me.

7 Likes

I always held out hope that Q would show up on the Enterprise with a pet penguin… or perhaps Q show up in Salem for an episode or two. He’ll always be Eugene to me (days of our lives).

1 Like