The opening to "Hee Haw" is now like a waking nightmare

My whole family would sit down to watch this. My parents had all of Charlie Farquharson’s books.
“Jogfree of Canda” was bathroom reading forever.

I always thought that “Hee Haw” was just “The Muppet Show” but with hicks instead of puppets.

12 Likes

waking nightmare? Hmm, like others above, I’ve seen a lot worse on recent tee vee.

Isn’t this the show where K.D. Laing got her big break?

The only thing I remember from watching reruns that I’d even vaguely object to now is the playboy-model types they had lounging around sometimes with their boobs hanging out, while various men drooled and eye-popped over them. :person_shrugging:

22 Likes

Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Junior Samples, Archie Campbell, Grandpa Jones: fantastic talents, all. Not to mention the guests: dozens and dozens of some of the finest musicians to ever record music.

14 Likes

i am surely not the only Gen-X kid who had a small crush on Cathy Baker who did the That’s All! at the end…

4 Likes

You can’t post about Hee Haw without posting “Pfft You Was Gone”. Supercut of guest cameos starts around 1:19.

26 Likes

Absolutely. When I was a kid, I though Owens was a regular old variety show hack. I didn’t realize he was a groundbreaking musician until I was much older.

12 Likes

I am so not into ‘country music’ (although I flutter every now and then with cross-over country).

But I fail to see what qualifies the opening as “a waking nightmare”.

As far as an answer goes, only if it touched on politics… and Hee-Haw never did, per my recollection.

11 Likes

El Mariachi approves.

5 Likes

Some happy childhood memories, right there. Granted, any late-70’s TV will put a smile on my face.

11 Likes

You just made me remember being a little boy playing in the kitchen while my grandmother did dishes, cooked, or folded laundry while humming or quietly singing this song. We used to love staying at our grandmother’s house and watching Hee Haw. Lots of good entertainment as a kid.

9 Likes

Roy Clark was an amazing guitarist (Hee-Haw never truly displayed his skill).

10 Likes

Huh - her first TV appearance was on Hee Haw.

I can’t seem to find a video of it - but this is from around the same time. Fun stuff.

My Godmother and her husband did square dancing. They were quite good at it and I remember going to one of their events to watch.

6 Likes

I completely forgot about that! I recall that as the season progressed, the bodily emphasis at “I’ve searched” seemed to get more and more exaggerated!

5 Likes

Same! I’d religiously watch Hee Haw with my grandparents every time I’d stayed overnight with them on the weekends. My grandma would always sit sideways in her recliner, legs over the armrest, while peeling apples and letting me eat the peels. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Corny, goofy, silly? Sure, but nightmare? Nah! Hee Haw was a fixture in my house growing up and, personally, was more preferable to the Lawrence Welk Shows (which didn’t features bad jokes in cornfields or shout-outs to Biloxi, MI, (population 44,054… “Saaaalute!”)).

Also, this was the country music I grew up with. Then I discovered Outlaw Country (Willie, Waylon, Ray Wilie Hubbard…).

What memories.

19 Likes

Hee Haw was on the air for three seasons, 1969-1971, so this is unlikely.

There were other country music shows out there, so that’s probably what @milliefink is thinking of.

(Or did Hee-Haw have some kind of comeback/redux version on CMT in the 80’s?)

[ETA: Hmmm, wikipedia says " During the 2006–07 season CMT aired a series of reruns and TV Land also recognized the series with an award presented by k.d. lang;"]

2 Likes

ReBoing?

Looks like @jlw got dragged in the comments that time, too (although not quite as much).

6 Likes

Well sure. . . in retrospect.

4 Likes

Apparently, I am consistent with me.

Also, note that I completely blanked on all the harsh criticism that I have already skipped this time.

16 Likes

This show was regular viewing for my very urban, very upper-middle-class, very northern family when I was a kid. Like others here I loved “Pfft You Were Gone” and for some reason was always tickled when Junior Samples held up that sign with the phone number at the end of his bit.

In later years I grew to appreciate how ridiculously talented a musician Roy Clark was (I made a similar discovery about Charo from Love Boat).

Given a choice between the two, I’d watch “Hee Haw” over any typical “reality” TV show today.

16 Likes