Unaired pilot for Beverly Hillbillies (1962)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/15/unaired-pilot-for-beverly-hill.html

3 Likes

Donna Douglas / Elly May was my ideal gal back when I was just a youngun.

13 Likes

No Earl Scruggs banjo yet

7 Likes

The original name for The Beverly Hillbillies was The Hillbillies of Beverly Hillbillies.

Is that a subgroup of the Department of Redundancies Department? J/K

9 Likes

I love the color photo.

Weird. I know I watched plenty of episodes of this show, but exactly one sticks in my memory: After the Clampetts turn their front lawn into a vegetable garden, Mrs. whats-her-name gives them a tour of a modern agricultural region and lectures them on the benefits of commercial farms. Weird industrial-film intrusion into sitcom land.

5 Likes

The Hillbillies of Beverly Hillbillies

Look again.

The Hillbillies of Beverly Hills.

3 Likes

Never underestimate the power of a good theme song to efficiently convey a show’s premise.

It’s interesting to see how slowly, laboriously and dully the pilot sets up the same backstory that the theme song conveyed in less than a minute.

11 Likes

12 Likes

‘Green Acres’ and ‘Gilligan’s Island’ themes also fall into that group

10 Likes

Petticoat Junction:

7 Likes

God, what vapid, formulaic crap they’ve been feeding us for the last 65 years.

From this stupidity right up to the present day, with Two Broke Girls, _The Great Indoor_s, and The Big Bang Theory.

3 Likes

Hendrix meets Green Acres.

5 Likes

That’s why I never watched the three shows you mentioned. My never-watched list is endless.

3 Likes

It’s like an endless flow of excrement.

I don’t know how regional this was, but the boys I grew up around used to sing a parody version of it with supremely filthy lyrics:

"come and listen to a story ‘bout a man named Jed
had a lot of hair, but it wasn’t on his head
then one day he was shootin’ at some foooooood
and up from the ground come a woman in the nude.

naked, that is.
no clothes on."

and then it got really dirty.

2 Likes

Don’t forget “The Brady Bunch.”

3 Likes

had a buddy in high school that could sing the Star Spangled Banner to the tune of Gilligan’s Island. trying to do it is a bit of a mind-fuck.

1 Like

The Animals’ “House of the Rising Sun” can be easily sung to the tune of “Amazing Grace.”

1 Like

I think the original theme was Sally Ann by Flatt & Scruggs.

3 Likes

gods, I miss The Carol Burnett Show.
Here we have Tim Conway trolling the gang:

13 Likes