Unaired pilot for Beverly Hillbillies (1962)

Sounds like it would be fun to do, but I’d need to have the lyrics right in front of me.

1 Like

Don’t forget “The Brady Bunch.”

Forced to watch it a couple of times, so I’m trying to forget it.

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Holy shit. I love the Carol Burnett show. That was good stuff.

2 Likes

i watched and loved all these shows, but (1) i was under 10 and (2) it was the 70s, a much simpler time. (side note: the Carol Burnett show is still awesome.)

3 Likes

jeez, i had forgotten how funny tim conway’s elephant bit was. he was such a master of the long silence, letting the audience mull the mental image over and over until no matter what he says next, it makes it all the funnier.

3 Likes

Yes. Yes. Yes.

1 Like

You can say anything you like about all them other shows, but leave “Petticoat Junction” out of it.
“There’s Uncle Joe and he’s moving kind of slow at the junction …”

1 Like

And vice versa. I freaked my kids out once by singing the lyrics of Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun.

1 Like

The Beverly Hillbillies is one of the greatest shows ever made.

2 Likes

And then Vicki Lawrence manages to top him. Also impressive that she maintains a stoneface as well as she does.

6 Likes

YES. i meant to mention that, too. everyone else (including conway!) can barely hold it together, but she managed to stay on point until she drops a one sentence bombshell STILL IN CHARACTER, slaying the room. so good.

3 Likes

“It’s like an endless flow of excrement.”

Years ago a bunch of us from work got free tickets to NBC studios in LA for the TV pilot of something called “The Single Guy”. A comedy. It was pretty much a bomb. It was there I learned that 1) in these live viewings, a sort of cheerleader guy ramps up the audience between takes, instructing all to laugh when something is supposed to be funny (even when it wasn’t); all are encouraged to laugh even during the incredibly unfunny retakes (and there are a lot), and 2) the show writers are at these tapings (lined up front) and always laugh at their own unfunny, eye-rolling garbage. EX: You could probably watch as little as two Mary Tyler Moore episodes and identify in both episodes one particular and unique laugh, sort of a har, har, har, in a weird rising pitch; that’s one of the writers.

PS: Being ‘forced’ to laugh is a very unpleasant experience.

2 Likes

A live audience forced to laugh is infinitely better than a repetitive laugh track.

1 Like

BBT is also on my never-watched list. I see I made the right choice.

1 Like

Looks like the car my family used when we moved California in the 30’s. We didn’t find oil tho, so we were the Barstow Hillbillies.

11 Likes

I was just watching some vapid romcom on Hallmark (not by choice) and I was a bit surprised to see Tim Conway show up in it in a supporting role. Although, of course, he basically stole the movie, being the only thing in it that was remotely watchable.

2 Likes

That’s very true, but as a kid I was always hoping for an origins episode. Now I see why it never aired.

2 Likes

A really bad typo. It was the Hillbillies of Beverly Hills. Period.

2 Likes

Dear Lord, that was one boring, stupid piece of crap.

2 Likes

Also consider Justice for All.

2 Likes