The opening to "Hee Haw" is now like a waking nightmare

I’m curious; is it a waking nightmare to you because you think it perpetuates hurtful stereotypes of rural people, or because it celebrates a working-class culture you think you are above?

4 Likes

Hmm, could be. Memory’s no trustworthy thing!

I actually remember seeing a rerun of something at some point, with her prancing around in a long skirt square dance style, kind of like in the video posted above, and thinking “Damn, she’s really, really changed!”

4 Likes

It was in syndication from 71 to 93. The 69 to 71 was when it was just on CBS.

12 Likes

Right. Which is how I saw it back in the day.

But for k.d. lang to appear on it would mean they grafted clips of her into a rerun. Or she performed on the show when she was ten years old. (That was the point of contention here.)

1 Like

Today it was the fear and loathing spinning eyes of the donkey, then the crazed looks of the hosts as they maniacally strum. I commented on “the opening”.

5 Likes

The period in syndication was not just repeats. It was new shows.

12 Likes

“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means ‘put down’.”

― Bob Newhart

16 Likes

Read more of the wiki. It was in syndication from 1969-1993 (ETA: Syndication was 1971-1993). It was a clip show from 1992-93, and after that, reruns.

KD Lang’s appearance was in 1987.

3 Likes

I thought the BB Contributors were largely in favor of trippy, psychedelic imagery? Or did the eyes need to be more spiral like?

1 Like

Ahhh… I stand corrected.

I always got the feeling I was watching repeats of the show as a kid (and maybe I was.)

I think I saw “syndication” and interpreted that as how the original Star Trek was in syndication with no new episodes until Next Gen came along.

3 Likes

Ugh. I was a kid when this show first aired. I lived in the Deep South at the time - albeit in the city - and this show was practically worshipped in the more rural areas. It was widely mocked at my school, and to this day I loathe country music because of Hee Haw.

1 Like

It was in syndication from 71 to 93 (or it might have also bee in syndication from 69 to 71, but it was primarily on CBS), and that included NEW episodes. Syndication doesnt’ just mean “reruns sold to other networks.” It can and does include new content offered up for syndication. ST:TNG’s entire run was in syndication.

It appears that KD Lang was on the show in 1988.

Your loss.

I think they showed old ones, too, but I remember the show feeling old-fashioned too. I don’t think it’s just the subject of the show, but the nature of the show in general. By the 80s, that sort of variety show was really starting to go out of fashion in general.

9 Likes

Exactly … which is why they got pushed off the network. By the very early '70s pretty much any show was woke (du jour), or gone. Not complaining at all, that’s just why they vanished. Gomer Pyle was another one: a Marines sitcom that never once mentioned the war in Vietnam. Time came where that just wouldn’t fly any more.

No, Stringbean looked like a Sleestak.

Donny & Marie, Sonny & Cher, Captain & Tennille, . . . Bigfoot & Wildboy.

4 Likes

Technically, both the Muppet Show and the Carol Burnett show were “variety” programs, but the Muppets were pretty satirical (but with a big heart) and Carol Burnett is just fucking awesome…

Bored Carol Burnett GIF

28 Likes

It wasn’t so much that the networks wanted “woke” shows but that they wanted to appeal to a more affluent audience in cities and suburbs by showcasing characters and premises they’d find more relatable.

9 Likes

Wow. What a sucky snarky elitist thing to write. If you colored that exact intro in dayglo it would look like a Sid and Marty Krofft production and BB would receive it in unalloyed joy.

9 Likes

I’m glad I read down the whole thread, I was waiting to see if someone had mentioned the Rural Purge.

6 Likes

Same here, although I’m not sure if I would have opted back then to watch Hee-Haw if there were, as now, an abundance of options for viewers. Still, I’m glad I did. It was a feel-good show that gave me some respite from the constant barrage of news, i.e., Vietnam and civil unrest.

3 Likes