The opening to "Hee Haw" is now like a waking nightmare

It may have been only Ringo singing on that cover of Act Naturally, but all four Beatles played.

2 Likes

But it was. Laugh in was Urbane and Edgy Hee Haw was country. Literally produced to leverage the Laugh In Success for a different Demographic.

And I can still sing the Pfft you were gone song.
Your uncle fester though he was air plane
He went to the airport and attempted to fly
4 thousand pigeons scotch tape to his arms
He flew past a statue and there he did die

(Everybody)

Where or where are you to night?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over and I thought I found true love.
But you met another and Pfft you were gone!

5 Likes

I came here to defend Hee Haw’s good name and found it well and truly defended already. Well done!

Pfft.

14 Likes

That is some of the whitest white shit. I preferred Horse apples

1 Like

I liked the lady with the price tag on her hat. (Was she on this show?)

Yea, we watched this in the '70s in our suburban Pittsburgh home. And probably the same evening watched Lawrence Welk. Otherwise we’d listen to top 40 songs on the radio.

Credit to the producers of BOTH shows to cut across all demographics.

Finally, regarding Jason’s comment about the intro being a waking nightmare: I kinda have to agree… all those people laughing for no reason. Maybe they were smoking the devil’s weed. It was the '70s after all.

4 Likes

that is Minnie Pearl and yes, she was on Hee Haw.
(and yes, i grew up watching. still have mixed feelings about it. my father was a performing musician and the Roy & Buck thing was kinda his schtick.)

9 Likes

That would be Minnie Pearl.
She wasn’t a regular but may have made a guest appearance or two. Not real sure though.

5 Likes

Insert coke.gif here.

1 Like

Yes, Minnie Pearl.

She was way ahead of her time with the trend of leaving the price tag on on a hat.

ETA - according to IMDB, she was a regular with 182 episode appearances.

4 Likes

Oh man. These guys

7 Likes

In the early Internet days I used BR-549 as password on a site or two. Of course, I would never use anything that insecure these days…or would I?

5 Likes

I really appreciated when The Odd Couple had Roy Clark as a guest star and gave him the chance to play it on their sofa, with Felix (the snooty, opera-and-classical-music aficionado) showing deep appreciation for the artistry.

They also gave him a chance to show what he could do classically as well as country on a fiddle.

7 Likes

She’s from western Canada, so country music is actually her original wheelhouse.

5 Likes

Yeah, the best (and only) performer in the cowpunk style. Here’s a better version of “Turn Me Round”.

Her band, The Reclines, is a nod to Patsy Cline.

6 Likes

“cowpunk”! oh, yeah. she also did a performance for Johnny Carson that blew him away! when she falls to her knees at the end, Johnny could be heard to gasp…

(it was quite a show!)

7 Likes

These dumb outfits weren’t meant to be taken seriously any more than Goldie Hawn’s body paint outfits in Laugh-In.

1 Like

and their rendition of 3 cigarettes was phenomenal!
loved k. d. throughout her changing style…
(to the topic: Hee Haw, not so much)

2 Likes

Heh, yeah. It’s not like they were both comedy shows, amirite? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Ooh - I forgot about the Spoonerisms.

1 Like

I have never much liked country music, but the whole family, including me, watched and loved this show every week.

4 Likes