The Optimal Route for Visiting Every U.S. National Park

I think the key is not trying to see anything. Add time clocks and make it a rally.

Yep. But there’s quite a number of carless ferries that will get you to Hawaii’s parks too, though they weren’t included. (Admittedly the ride time on those is usually a bit longer.)

I’ve been to the Dry Tortugas several times and yes, there’s a catamaran that takes you out there for day trips. Your guess that it’s not an auto ferry is correct.

By the way, it’s well worth the visit for both the snorkeling and the tour of the fort.

This route does not include the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, America’s first National Seashore, It also excludes the Fort Raleigh, the site of the first attempt of English settlement, and Wright Brothers National Memorial. All three National Parks are on North Carolina’s Outer Banks.

“National Park” has a very specific definition for the Dept of the Interior, the government agency that governs them. National Seashores, National Historical Sites and Parks, and National Memorials are often wonderful places, but they are not National Parks as the DoI defines them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States

As the Wiki puts it: “Other units of the National Park Service are sometimes incorrectly referred to as national parks; they are listed here.”

My natal state of NJ is full of National Historical Sites that don’t meet the qualifications of a National Park. In northern NJ, you can’t throw a stick without hitting one. I’ve always enjoyed Fort Nonsense which may or may not have actually ever existed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.