The origins of mudflap girl

Originally published at: The origins of mudflap girl | Boing Boing

6 Likes

she’s a portrait of hypersexualized femininity, and she might propagate unrealistic beauty standards.

Gee, ya think??

Ain’t no “might” about it.

20 Likes

They should do a companion article on that other automotive signifier of American classiness, the Jesus fish. I’m sure both decals have appeared side by side on a multitude of vehicles in the USA.

21 Likes

Reminds me of the Paul Westerberg (The Replacements) Song
Silver Naked Ladies

3 Likes

Excuse me?

33 Likes

Mudflap Girls?

Good name for a band.

13 Likes

I have to admit, that one’s new to me.

8 Likes

Ohhhh.

9 Likes

Maybe Bill Zinda…

"Bill Zinda of Wiz Enterprises in Long Beach, California, created this famous character to promote his line of truck and auto accessories and based the character upon a famous model named Leta Laroe. "

https://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/50097/trucks/the_most_versatile_truck_and_auto_accessories_mud_flaps.html

4 Likes

Whose picture doesn’t easily turn up on any Google searches of her name. I have doubts about that whole famous bit.

5 Likes

Countrified riot grrl?

9 Likes

Keanu Reeves Bill S Preston Esquire GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

9 Likes

Same here. The Google machine only had…

Hogan - a traditional Navajo hut of logs and earth.

Either the usage is very obscure or it’s time to cue-up Montoya’s, “I don’t think that word means what you think it means.”

2 Likes

I went here to check: (for the gist of it at least)

12 Likes

If you know of a good drafting supply (for architect or engineering type draftsman), among the protractors, straightedges, compasses and drawings templates, you may be able to find this pattern sold as a template under the name “French Curve”.

1 Like

I think that the guys over at US Patent and Trade have that template.

3 Likes

Wired ran a story about a man who claimed that mudflap girl was his mother,

So Barbie and Ken DID procreate, then.

5 Likes

And the subject of a song too

5 Likes
7 Likes

i like this version:

3 Likes