The Orville is better than Star Trek: Discovery

I always forget wikis exist! Thanks!

3 Likes

Really need a Trek Lebowski mashup

I’d like to think of Walter as a Klingon

5 Likes

Mod note:

Just a quick reminder for everyone after cleaning some 40 posts out of this (otherwise awesome topic) - everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they differ from yours. Even if yours are the same as a vast majority of others.

You’re welcome to disagree. You’re welcome to link to or quote outside supporting evidence as necessary. You’re welcome to snark (I mean, it is Boing Boing) - but you are not welcome to insult or belittle others for their opinions.

They are not worth less than your opinions, even if the majority may disagree with you. Everyone has a right to have their say here if they are respectful to one another.

Lastly: It’s space Sci-Fi! We are lucky enough to have more than a few of these shows kicking around right now. Be happy that our cups runneth over! Don’t worry if someone disagrees with you on the internet. :wink:

8 Likes

Good thing about a Moclan urinating on your rug? They only can do it once a year.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Is there some Walter line about honor or something similar? This is close…

2 Likes

Rules?!

5 Likes

Not that i recall but perhaps its a good excuse to rewatch the movie… not that i need one. Anyway here’s a few other ones i found doing a quick search of Walter quotes…

Walter Sobchak: Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.

1 Like

I just want to say to @Tamsin_Bailey @Grey_Devil @GulliverFoyle and @Mindysan33

I OFC searched for klingons and bowling on google…and well…the results were what you’d expect.

7 Likes

I’ll toast to that!

7 Likes

As someone who prefers TNG, I will readily admit that DS9 had better character arcs. Mostly by virtue of actually having them. The main problem I had was I didn’t like most of the characters who had arcs very well. I liked Sisko. I actually kinda liked Bashir after he got over being a total asshole in the first season (Season 1 Bashir I still want to toss out an airlock). Of course I still like O’Brien and Worf, but they’re from TNG. Everyone else… eh…

I don’t expect anyone else to feel that way, really though, so I’m… not sure what point I’m trying to make, or why I bothered typing this all out. Ah well.

2 Likes

I seem to remember that someone mentioned that physics and biology were, like, the same thing, man. I’m a little hazy though, because my eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

Then the ship’s saucer section started spinning, and I thought it was just a result of my eyes still rolling, but, alas, that really happened.

4 Likes

Just one little bit I want to add:

Orville may have Brannon Braga, but Discovery has Nicholas Meyer. Definitely felt his touch in “Into the Woods I Go”.

2 Likes

Last 3 episodes showed promise, but it is definitely sub Voyager level at this point.

Indeed. At least Voyager was very much in the spirit of all things Trek, if somewhat weak in the execution.

2 Likes

Half of Turkey is in Europe…

4 Likes

That’s a very good analogy.

I’ve seen pretty much all of the the DCU and the MCU movies, and while some of the MCU movies are forgettable, most have been very enjoyable, with their faults and all. And even the most serious ones have some humourous bright spots. In comparison, the DC movies are just so unrelentingly grim, and they take themselves so damned seriously all the time, I just can’t find myself caring much about these people.

I’ve seen the first four or five Orville episodes, and I saw the first four ST:D episodes. And you’re right, I had the same reactions. The Orville was silly at times (many times), but it was intentional. And they milk jokes for far too long sometimes. But for the most part, they were fun to watch.

In contrast, the ST:D episodes were not just dark visually, the tone was absolutely miserable. Everyone on the show comes across as petty, vicious, and miserable. The only one who struck me as being even marginally sympathetic is the captain, who’s clearly got PSTD, so he at least has an excuse to be a jerk. But according to the show runners, he’s the one we’re supposed to not like.

I like the Orville. I don’t think it’s awesome or anything, and I’d probably only rate it as maybe a 7 out of 10, but that’s about 5 higher than I’d rate ST:D.

3 Likes

Glad to help! Between Memory Alpha, Encyclopedia of Arda, and Wookiepedia, my friends think I’m much more of a geek than they should :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I watched the first two Discovery episodes, and no more. Those two had that Michael Bay sensation of someone constantly hitting me in the face with a bat. Amazing costumes and FX, but not a whole lot else. I assume it gets better? Never know, as hell will have frozen over before I subscribe to CBS.

The Orville is a load of fun, and much more in the spirit of Next Gen. I really think Seth hit a home run on this.

I can relate to your sentiment. I totally prefer TNG although DS9 was much better written; the DS9 characters were fine but I just couldn’t get into them, with the exception of Sisko, and the interaction between Garak and Bashir.

I think what is going on, at least for me, are related to formula: I just couldn’t get into a Star Trek series set on a space station, even though I fully accepted it as Trek and part of Trek canon. When the series was airing I was watching it, but not faithfully every week like I did with TNG; and now I never revisit it like I do TNG and Voyager. I love the “ship going through space” premise, a mainstay of Star Trek, I just love the format. DS9 was a great show but a lot of this is, for me, feeling: what feels good. And the formula drives that very much.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. Tapestry (s.6 ep. 15) is one of the all-time great Trek episodes IMHO. But maybe that’s because it’s a toss-up as to whether the events depicted really involve Q at all, or are just Picard’s hallucinations…

4 Likes