The Orville is better than Star Trek: Discovery

I was never a great fan of Q, but I really, truly enjoyed John de Lancie chewing up the scenery. c.f. His Odin on Charmed, Uncle Sid on Andromeda, and Discord on My Little Pony (:smile:); he’s a fun guy to watch.

Stamets did get a lot more interesting after his self-experimentation; he changed and it’s still a little weird. And weird is good. (And the real life Paul Stamets is pretty darn interesting too.)

Canonical problems aside, I also enjoy Michael Burnham, she’s seems to have different motivations than most Star Trek characters, her fervent speech about the principles of the Federation, her correct assessment of the Klingons… I want to see where her character goes.

5 Likes

Pedant moment here. Voyager established that Annika Hansen’s parents were studying the Borg aboard the Starfleet research vessel USS Raven some while before the events of Encounter at Farpoint. Given the Temperoal Prime Directive, it seems reasonable that Starfleet discloses anachronistic records on a need to know basis.

I kind of stopped worrying about and learned to love the bomb it for one simple reason. In a universe with unbounded time travel into the past, any changes to the timeline don’t only effect the future, but also the past prior to the change because the new timeline will produce new time travelers.

Parenting, you’re doing it right.

8 Likes

Agreed, but you may want to blur those spoilers for those who haven’t seen the show yet.

1 Like

Thanks, I went back and did that.

2 Likes

I had never thought of the temporal prime directive! Makes more sense now… but that begs the question how did her parents get permission/information?

You’re the second person to say that to me today…

2 Likes

Haven’t seen Orville yet, but I gave up on Discovery once it was revealed the drive was powered by space-mushroom spores and navigated by a Tardigrade.
What is this, the U.S.S. Psilocybin? :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

What if you could travel across space with like… mushrooms

11 Likes

That’s just, like, your directive, man.

11 Likes

In my headcannon, like Bashir the Hansens were drafted by Section 31, which operates outside Federation law and presumably Starfleet general order one. I find it awfully convenient that Starfleet had an anti-Borg program less a year after Q “introduced” the Enterprise to the Collective. And studying the Borg is exactly the sort of thing Section 31 would get up to once it realized the threat they posed.

2 Likes

Oh, I like the way you’re thinking about this!

I wonder if there are many comic books with section 31 being involved! Maybe books too? It’s been a while since I read any star trek books!

riker-surprise

6 Likes

The rug really tied the entire bridge together man.

8 Likes

Welp, now there needs to be a Star Trek/Big Lebowski crossover!

6 Likes

I vaguely remember some Section 31 books… circa when ST:Voyager was on the air maybe.

3 Likes

Related but off topic a tad. I am curious how much different a Star Trek series would be helmed by, written, produced, etc by an English or European studio/crew. At this point it seems that the studio culture in the US is largely incompatible with the kind of tone and themes Trek fans are expecting. I’m also largely curious how different such a series would be.

5 Likes

Oooo!!! I’ll have to see if I can dig some up! Thanks!

3 Likes

Bowling instead of poker?

1 Like

“Where’s the Dilithium crystals, Lebowski!?”

7 Likes
2 Likes

This aggression will not stand, Klingon!

4 Likes

Here’s a hint, from Memory Alpha: Star Trek Section 31.

3 Likes