The Orville is better than Star Trek: Discovery

Of that you and I will have to disagree. I think even TNG era Klingons would look like crap in this iteration. I forone welcome the redesign. I want my aliens to look more alien and not just people in forhead makeup.

Wrong. It was established that McCoy with no physical training could not do it. Spock in TOS attempted to teach Kirk showing that it can be done. All it takes is training and strength. Both Odo and Data have done it. You will also notice that Georgiou didn’t stay knocked out that long. So perhaps Micheal’s technique is present, but not mastered.

Thank you at least for admitting that 1960s production of what the future would be would not work today. Too many naysayers claim that this is not true.

I don’t see how this breaks canon. Clearly something will occur to make it not be used again. Could be the network gets burned. Or it could be that clearly you have to genetically augment a pilot to make it work. And that goes against Federation ethos.

2 Likes

You should watch it all then. Because your assumption on what the show is appears flawed from the product we get.

2 Likes

tng-worf

11 Likes

You spelled “bad” wrong.

2 Likes

A continuation (I assume post VOY) would have been terrible. Too much magic tech had been present by that point. Talk about lack of drama and lazy writing. Or you just get Time Cop the series with the eventual Temporal Cold War coming.

A reboot would have been fine imo, but if you think the fans cried at the JJ alternate timeline broo ha ha, just think how bad it would be if you actually rebooted the Prime timeline.

3 Likes

But what about those of us who want our Klingons to look like Space Mexicans in gold lamé?

14 Likes

I think they were getting to that at the end of the this year’s episode.

https://www.hulu.com/the-orville

I didn’t even know The Orville was a thing though I think I now need to watch it. I was just thinking to myself the other day that I was kind of tired of grim dark with a side order of grit constantly being served up. It’s okay to like primary colours and turn the lights on people!

I’ve watched 3-4 episodes of ST:D (unfortunate acronym is unfortunate) and though I personally like it so far despite my above paragraph, it also feels a little like what happens when The X-Files watches a bunch of Battlestar Galactica then meets Star Trek and decides to wear it as a skin suit. It’s superficially Star Trek but underneath it has little to no striving for the betterment of humankind and all those other hippy ideals we came to know and love.

7 Likes

That was already covered in Enterprise. There was an actual reason why Klingons looked like black face actors vs ridged aliens later.

What remains to be seen is what Discovery does with that piece of canon.

Honestly, the reason ENT gave never needed to be addressed. The joke in DS9 was cute but that was all we needed. Giving an in-universe reason has caused nothing but headaches since.

2 Likes

Watch more of DSC (your unfortunate acronym is of your own making and not one the show recognizes.) All that is still there. Although that is not ALL Trek is supposed to be.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t recall those at all - I’d only remembered the ST:III example.

As I said, I’m hoping they do something that satisfactorily explains it, and preferably permanently disables it. The “genetic modifications are against Federation ethos” explanation doesn’t hold water, as it’s already illegal by the time of Discovery, and it’s obviously done there. Also, the Federation runs into problems again and again with alien races, so you can’t say there isn’t some black ops branch that wouldn’t keep one of these ships on standby just in case.

Even with the Starfleet prohibition, there are plenty of other advanced races that DGAF. The Dominion and the Borg come to mind (especially the latter).

4 Likes

I too hope for a full reasoning why it isn’t used. We could spitball all day about why it isn’t used in the future. I have faith the producers of the show will handle it properly.

2 Likes

So far it looks like DSC’s writing staff wants to dip its toes into episodic writing which I think is compatible with their overall search for a multi-season story line. Babylon 5 did that and it was generally decent (especially with G’Kar and Mollari’s own story line and interactions). It’s a question of whether Kurtzman will let them do that or not. I really don’t get how that guy keeps getting work in TV or movies, he’s really bad at everything in regards to those mediums.

4 Likes

Even Colicos adapted to the New Klingon Order.
2u7va54

5 Likes

Neither show is very good, but at least The Orville ‘gets’ Star Trek, it’s basically Next Generation fan-fiction with a couple of not very funny jokes added in (the ‘jokes’ are probably the worst part, just incredibly lazy for the most part a few good sight gags aside, there isn’t a huge number of them at least, it’s not really a full-on comedy).

I might hate Discovery less if it didn’t have anything to do with Star Trek, and was just a standalone sci-fi actioner. Though even then the mushroom drive would still be idiotic and the writing would be pretty bad (the characters repeatedly do the dumbest action possible in every situation). Saru is a great character though, and the acting and production design is good throughout, it’s not entirely irredeemable, could still improve as it goes along.

I like the idea mentioned above that they might actually be in the alternate reality, would make some of the questionable choices they’ve made with the show less stupid.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I assumed they were going for when I saw the first episode. It was some kind of genetically engineered virus gone awry. The new design of the Klingons I didn’t have a problem with, I liked the general aesthetic refresh they gave their art/design as well, too much in the original shows was just the same design repeated ad nauseum (presumably that was just a budgetary restriction, like that one same city scape for every non-regular alien species). They really butchered the language though, none of the actors managed to sound believable as native speakers of any language, was really forced, too slowly delivered I think was the main problem.

2 Likes

He knows his audience.

4 Likes

That’s been one of my problems with the show, these starfleet officers are dumb and unlikable, we’re supposed to dislike Landry, but we don’t even get to respect her after she decides on suicide by tardigrade. Michael is supposed to be brought up on Vulcan but not only is she ever in control of her emotions, even for a little bit, she displays no kind of logic I can recognize and Saru can “sense death”.

1 Like

You lot all know I was joking about nerd rage, right?

garak-sisko-seems-angry

13 Likes