The Orville is better than Star Trek: Discovery

You may have missed this small detail. She respected Lorca so much, she was willing to do what ever it took to get him results. Was it a stupid move? Sure, but judgment goes out the window sometimes when you are under pressure.

That is actually part of her whole story. Maybe you have missed that. She used logic and what did that get her? A war (blamed incorrectly on her) and loss of her mother figure/captain. Six months in the clink can change a person. Maybe she is realizing that she needs to embrace more of her emotions to become better.

If I didn’t already know about that I wouldn’t have needed to do any research on it because they explain it in the show, the explanation wasn’t actually an explanation at all though, real life mycelial networks were just used as an analogy, they never actually explain (or even theorise) how the subspace version came to be, what it’s made of, and how it facilitates space travel. It’s no better than magic.

You’re right that the other shows also had elements of this in it, but that kind of thing is unavoidable given the number of episodes and inevitable variable quality of the writing. We’re talking about one of the core concepts of the show here though, they really could have put a bit more effort in.

2 Likes

I irl loled when this happened, so stupid and could see it coming a mile away.

3 Likes

From Episode 3 Context is for Kings:

WARNING: SPOILERS HERE. READ AT YOUR PERIL.

Stamets: At the quantum level, there is no difference between biology and physics.
No difference at all.

Burnham: And you talk about spores.
What are they?

Stamets: They are the progenitors of panspermia.
They are the building blocks of energy across the universe.
Physics and biology? No. Physics as biology.

Later in the episode:

Burnham: how do you travel on spores?

Lorca: Imagine a microscopic web that spans the entire cosmos.
An intergalactic ecosystem. An infinite number of roads, leading everywhere.

Burnham: “The veins and muscles that hold our galaxies together.”

Lorca: Now, if the Discovery can be anywhere,and gone in an instant…that’s how you beat the Klingons. That’s how you win the war.

So if that isn’t enough for you to explain what is going on even at a Trek level of technobabble, I am not sure what else will.

You know we haven’t all seen these shows yet, right?

3 Likes

Sorry, trying to hide but it isn’t taking my spoiler tags.

1 Like

I literally cringed at this dialogue while watching:

They are the building blocks of energy across the universe.
Physics and biology? No. Physics as biology.

…and no, it doesn’t explain anything, not even at the level of Trek technobabble.

5 Likes

read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

And for fucks sake, it is fiction. Give it a little belief suspend.

1 Like

Watched plenty of both shows until I quit Orville. I really really wanted to like it, but it is just lame. I watch virtually everything Seth has done, but he needs to stay on the other side of the camera.
Discovery is the best Star Trek I’ve enjoyed since DS9, and I especially like the view from the enemy’s point of view. Less comic relief, obv, but great sets, plots and acting.

And they answer the spore drive question simply, if you’d actually seen the show. I won’t spoil it for those who still plan to.

I’m enjoying both shows, though my eyes have deteriorated as I’ve grown older so I can barely see Discovery. Since I first watched ST (with my parents!) in the 60s I’ve seen everything Roddenberry ever directed or wrote, and I’m pretty sure he would have preferred Orville. (His shtick at ST conventions was showing blooper reels.)

Michelle Yeoh’s Captain Georgiou on Discovery is almost as great a ST lead character as Sisko. Too bad they killed her off.

11 Likes

I genuinely didn’t mean to sound negative or insulting. I’ve always used ST: [show initials] and had completely missed that the preferred abbreviation was DIS or DSC.

I do plan to watch more when I have time and will be happy to be proven wrong in any initial assumptions I’ve formed. It’s easy to fall in to comparing DIS to every previous series before it and forget that they’re not only trying to find their own niche to occupy, but that all the other shows had years to develop their stories as well as to dull their rough edges. I think pretty much every single Star Trek series started out on rather shaky ground but then went on to win over the fan base (or at least parts of it).

Agreed. As someone who hated TNG when it started, found potential in DS9 but realized it didn’t get good til the end of S1 and found VOY’s first year to be dull and lifeless, DSC has come out of the gate running and done an amazing job in 9 episodes so far. Alot of the issues I have seen arise is that it is a true serialized show (as opposed to episodic of TOS/TNG or mixed bag of the others) in that every episode is part of the whole story. You can’t just think the whole show sucks because of different pacing. For at least this Trek fan: that wonder, joy, exploration and the human spirit overcoming difficult times are all there.

2 Likes

Spoiler alert!
/s

Kitty appears to be unamused by the constraining T-shirt, but too sleepy to care.

1 Like

From his cartoons, you get the impression he hates everyone who’s not American and male, dead stripper jokes are never funny.

whoops. Fixed.

1 Like

It’s a trek thread, it’s pretty much expected that you can’t wade in without a broken bone or two :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree. I was especially upset when they killed the extra black klingon so the extra white one could be in charge. Glad that didn’t last. It seems dark and war heavy, the character development is going much more slowly.

agreed 100%.

right? there were a few episodes that felt unpolished or a bit off the main feeling of the show, but so did TNG. Orville is one of my favorite shows right now. Like the video guy says, i want to be in space with them. I want to be a part of their crew. I haven’t felt Space Family™ since Firefly.

He is all those things. His sense of humor is a pretty wide, but the family guy style is a taste, it isn’t for everyone. He like using humor to push issues, or boundaries. Family Guy is the latter, it actually has a lot of very smart humor hidden in it alongside the crude boundary pushing jokes. Like simpsons, the jokes are layered.

:joy::joy::joy:

:heart: galaxy quest love

i agree, he is awesome and one of the better parts. the show has a lot of potential, it is just an odd fit in the ST universe.

I’ve studied mycology and have even taken courses with the real paul stamets. you might be surprised that the only thing mushroomy about the spore drive is the name.

That would be solid. Even if the network existed in subspace or outside of space time as they later claim, how would it move physical objects? how would it move them faster than information can travel? why do the mushrooms spore if they are everywhere already? why would you need spores to travel along mycelia? that isn’t how either work. they pretty much assume that viewers know nothing about mushrooms or physics.

I do like the visual spin drop effect they use though, that is pretty cool.

6 Likes

Well, the interview I saw with Paul says that the DSC team contacted him for help, showed him what they were thinking, he added some notes and they went with that. He really digs it and thinks its cool (not even because they named the character after him)

Star Trek has already visited this method (without even an explanation) in the Iconians and their gateways. We don’t know exactly how the machine works they inject the spores into. But it does. This is no more zany than the original series just saying their ship is powered by crystals and leaving it at that.

Just roll with it (pun intended) we’re only 9 episodes in.

1 Like

I was once like you… DS9 is my favorite ST series and I’m not generally a Seth McFarlane fan. But, The Orville is awesome! The comedy gets better as the season progresses.

I hope that it starts doing story arcs once the characters get more developed.

2 Likes