The Paderno spiral vegetable peeler looks shoddy, but it is awesome

the blade is really sharp, watch your fingers!

The thing about both of those dishes and I would guess most pasta dishes is the sauces. Carbonara is all about the bacon and the cream. Pesto is all about the basil and pine nuts. The pasta is just the delivery mechanism for those flavors. IMHO
I would suggest try the zucchini pasta or give yourself a cheat day. Your choice. I know that the thing I miss the most going no carb is crusty rustic delicious bread.

Edit - I forgot ,yes the spiralizer is a one purpose tool though there are variations on what you cut. And in my view every kitchen should have a mandolin. But when it gets right down to it, both of these tools do one job with variations on the types of cuts, but the key is they cut differently.

Cheers

1 Like

If you get a mandolin, I highly recommend a set of the cut-resistant gloves to go with it. I hated the little handguard that came with mine, but every time I didn’t use it I got cut, so I rarely used the mandolin. Then I got the gloves as a gift, and I tossed the handguard and use the mandolin constantly.

1 Like

I have both tools and both are useful. However after the initial honeymoon period with the mandolin it will sit in a cabinet somewhere for long periods of time. At least this is the experience of everyone I know with one.

I also echo the kevlar glove for cutting unless you are really going slowly. The guard gets in the way too much.

1 Like

This is what I grew up using:

It was actually a great contraption. You could set it to any size slice you wanted instead of using only predetermined blade settings. Paying close attention was required, however. I’m happy to say I have no permanent damage despite many decades of using that thing.

I got rid of it once I had children, though. No sense tempting fate.

That’s a great suggestion. I never would have thought of that. I just looked in to it and it seems they’re reasonably priced (except those chainmail ones like I used to wear when I worked as an oyster shucker).

That thing looks even more dangerous than a Cornballer.

1 Like

The mandolin is one of those kitchen doodads that is the perfect tool for a few specific tasks. I have one, love it, and only use it 3-4 times a year.

You had me at:" a cute non-hallucinogenic mushroom"!
jus’sayin…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.