The pandemic is producing a golden age of stooping

How many times have we heard someone yell, “This food tastes like shit!”

4 Likes

That’s a great idea! And when it’s time to put the fire out, you can double up on returning your beer.

3 Likes

Or douse the coals (in case things somehow get out of control) by flushing with the inevitable water at the bottom of the tank.

2 Likes

I think it is a good idea not to pick up any mirrors that are left out on the sidewalk. Do you want a possessed mirror? Because that’s how you get possessed mirrors!

7 Likes

I got a LOT of my stuff this way in the '90s. Then the aughts brought the bedbug epidemic. After that, I kept a couple of feet between me and the curb stuff as I walked by.

1 Like

It’s like that in Berkeley as well, being a major college town…

4 Likes

Every few months I end up putting something out on the curb that I don’t need any more: a weed-whacker that stopped charging, a mower ditto, a bookshelf Salvation Army didn’t want. The strangest thing was when we put out an office chair that we had replaced. It was taken within a day or two, then we saw it moving around the neighborhood, sometimes disappearing for several weeks before reappearing on someone’s curb again. Last month it was back in its original spot where we first put it out; DH disassembled it and put it in the trash.

3 Likes

Aw, that poor rejected chair. What a life!

3 Likes

Chair: “They treated me like trash!”

3 Likes

Villains! Stop all that stooping!

3 Likes

Clive- you spelled my surname incorrectly in this article. I would urge you please promptly correct it. My full name is correctly spelled Jessica Wolff

Thank you,
stoopinginqueens

10 Likes

1 Like

10 years ago there was a story every week about the bedbug scourge in the city. Everyone I knew stopped picking up curb finds of any kind, even stuff like glassware.

I think there’s an element of people just not caring at this point and/or Gothamist having plenty of pandemic related material to freak us out about instead.

1 Like

As I have gotten older my need for “stuff” has been greatly diminished. My goal is to have everything I “own” and love fit in a back pack.

I’m pretty sure this happens everywhere. When my parents lived in rural Massachusetts they used to joke about how stuff would be gone by the time you walked from the end of the driveway back to the house. It’s just that whenever anything happens in New York people are all “only in New York!”

Oh? I thought the point was more that since so many rich people live in New York, all sorts of remarkably expensive shit is getting stooped. I don’t see denial anywhere that in many other places, people also put out stuff that other people grab.

3 Likes

When I put stuff out on the curb I usually put large googly eyes :eyes: on the object and a small “take me” sign.

Folks will think that they are rescuing a muppet.

2 Likes

Definitely not just a New York thing. I live in Bristol in the UK, and maybe half my furniture has come from the pavement. In fact, the day we moved into my current house, we were sat on the floor in the mostly empty sitting room (lounge), glanced outside, and there were two cheap blue office chairs right outside.
Ten years later, it’s still the seat I grab when I’m watching TV.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.