The paradox of personal branding

In all honesty it’s not like there is any lack of irony to me saying that. I (Humbabella) have something you might call a personal brand, though I think of it perhaps more as a mildly authentic personality. I (meat suit) is virtually nothing but an affect for at least half of my waking hours. I don’t refuse to personally brand because I hate it, I hate it because I find myself doing it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I hate “getting yourself out there” and “selling yourself” in a job interview as well.

Never, never try to get followers.

5 Likes

Haha. Sounds like good advice.

Yeah, I’ve always thought that was a bit of a misnomer. You don’t “sell yourself” in a job interview, you advertise yourself. Then you get the job. That’s when you start selling yourself. :confused:

2 Likes

Why expend all that effort when you can just buy them?

4 Likes

I see what you’re doing. You’re going for the anti-marketing dollar. That’s a good market. Very smart.

3 Likes

How bizarre. My work is doing exactly the opposite. An imperial edict has been issued: no names will appear in any corporate programs or documents without written approval of several of the lesser god-kings. Apparently people are becoming aware that certain people do better work than other people, and we can’t have that!

3 Likes

New all-purpose New Yorker Cartoon caption:

“Can I talk to you about my personal brand?”

4 Likes

You forgot “carry a sonic screwdriver!”

3 Likes

This lady makes personal branding seem so difficult…when all you really need is a metal coat hanger, some pliers, and a blow torch.

7 Likes

Somehow she confuses “paradox” with “being a self-promoting asshole”.

There is awareness of one’s image, and there is personal branding. A number of years ago, I started switching my online accounts from “OtherMichael” to my own name – BB is one of the outliers, as my 'nym here was long-standing, through, lo! these 20 different commenting systems… (But my name does appear on my profile. So there’s that.)

Anyway, I had discovered that a google search on a co-worker turned up all sort of nice tech-related posts and questions and involvement, but mine did not. Since virtually everything I did was not under my own name.

Well, now it is.

Of course, that means I have my github code and pmwiki discussions generative-text convos and BB talks about Pokemon butts all in the same bucket.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.