The passage of time

And I was just telling my wife, who wants to drive over to her mom’s, that our roads are designed to shed water. The roadways are domed with very deep ditches along the sides. If it’s icy, you are going off the road, into a ditch, and will probably roll the car. It’s just too risky to be out driving around, even with 4wd. Texas is not set up for ice. Best to stay home.

11 Likes

True about the infrastructure. Building codes are another matter. Passive survivability can be designed in. We just don’t because it takes a minuscule bit away from profits.
And as to fixing all the existing buildings, well, that’s what I do for a living and I will never run out of work. And we can’t find enough people to fill job openings.

10 Likes

We pulled out our generator so of course power is no problem. My BIL in Farmville has been without power for 2 days now. Says the inside and outside temps are the same now. Getting ready to go to a short term apartment to stay warm. He never was much of a prepper type, sometimes that bites you in the butt.

10 Likes

Even on a personal level, there’s not much point in stocking suitable clothing for a blizzard that has never or rarely happened, or in owning a snow shovel and other gear. I have an old broken shovel in the basement in case I need to shovel my way out of the house and clear the garage door to get at my two good shovels.

Our friend who moved to Vancouver a few years ago only bought a snow shovel last year, and keeps one winter jacket for trips to Ontario.

11 Likes

If you live in Texas and have no power, you are wearing at least two hoodies right now. And you’re probably going to sleep in them tonight, too.

2 Likes

I remember visiting Philadelphia and seeing lots of buildings that would have been condemned on the West Coast because they were falling apart and would obviously collapse in an earthquake

Fortunately earthquake zones are not moving around because of global warming

They’re moving around because of fossil fuel fracking :grimacing:

11 Likes

What is it about this thread that keeps bringing in spammers trying to sell stuff? What are they putting into search engines to get here?

I imagine it’s the boingboing shop and the url’s are shared through that affiliate program.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.