The people who reportedly never sleep. Ever

I’ve had several patients tell me they don’t sleep at all, or very little while they’re staying as inpatients. This is despite having several notes per night from nursing staff stating they appeared asleep or were snoring. One particularly anxious woman completely refused to believe these notes, saying that while she appeared to be sleeping she can’t have been, and also that her snoring was just her normal breathing, which is very loud (it wasn’t loud). I don’t tend to get far questioning people’s beliefs about sleep in this setting.

1 Like

Yeah… here we’re getting into the particulars of each individual case. All I’m saying is that never-sleeping animals should be theoretically possible (in a world of immortal jellyfish, why not?) and that this phenomenon is worlds of probability apart from people claiming they can indefinitely exhale carbon dioxide without ingesting any carbon. I’m not making any judgment on the veracity of the specific claims in question.

1 Like

10 Likes

Buggrit, I can’t find an on-line copy of Ballard’s “Manhole 69”.

Wow, and I thought my dreams were boring. :sleeping:

3 Likes

It appears that the mutation that causes FFI or familial CJD occurs on the same codon but is actually a different mutation - FFI is methionine at codon 129, CJD is valine.

Since mis-folded prion protein is transmissible and replicates its mis-fold to healthy prion protein, perhaps sFI is the result of cross-contamination or inoculation with PrPSc produced by an FFI sufferer?

Fucking rabbits get all the luck. Their PrPC protein can’t get bent out of shape.

1 Like

@renke ha, I hadn’t even seen yours yet!

4 Likes

I figured this out about myself when I tried to use my trying to fall asleep time to listen to audio podcasts. Turns out I only heard the first couple of minutes and was dreaming the rest of the tossing and turning. Eventually, I just fell asleep without the dreams. My audio podcast backlog is massive, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.