The quest for the well-labeled inn

In properly labelled taps in Québec or France, the C means ‘chaud’.

4 Likes

I was expecting this article to go in a whole different direction.

16 Likes

Jesus Christ; it’s like taking a shower in Myst.

20 Likes

And provide a card that identifies what TV stations are on what channels.

6 Likes

What’s wrong with just “C” and “F”?

5 Likes
5 Likes

as with many architects, they are more concerned with how it photographs than how it works when lived in

3 Likes

You guys are reminding me of the hotel I stayed in where, every time you turned on the switch as you walked in the door, the TV would turn on.

I did everything I could to unhook the connection, and every time I came back to the room, the maid had helpfully put it all back together for me. No matter what I did, she figured out how to make sure that damned TV would come on for me before both feet had actually entered the room.

15 Likes

Do you confuse dingus and plumbus?
No longer, thanks to "Plumbus: How They Do It "

2 Likes

Preach it brother!

Even the room door entry key can vary. Do I just wave the key near a pad, leave it in a slot, or in-and-remove from the slot?

Because your comment about being tired at the end of a long day of travel or whatever is spot-on. I’ve been close to zombie-level brain function at times when checking in. Grrrr!

3 Likes

I recently stayed at a Hyatt where I was startled that the table lamps not only had an easy to find switch on the base, THEY ALL HAD USB CHARGING PORTS! I still hate the “no overhead light” protocol, I just want to turn on a freaking light and see my crap. What was funny was they had the usual sign saying to hang the towel if you plant to reuse it, but there was absolutely nowhere to hang a towel!

BTW, there is no approved orientation for receptacles, shocking as that may be. Grounds down is merely custom.

5 Likes

So, where are you supposed to hang the towel to reuse them? On the towel rack where the clean towels are?

/ I stayed at the St. Andrews once - THAT room was designed beautifully! Too bad it’s, like, three times my employer’s expense limit.

// Edited to add: Re.: whether ground should be up or down.

1 Like

My pet peeve is the main power switch that requires you to insert your key card in order to run all the electrical outlets - including the AC. Some of these you can hack with a business card but many newer ones require the actual key card now.

Nothing like coming back from a sweltering day of sightseeing to an oven-like room that takes 4 hours to cool down and a dead laptop battery you thought was charging.

18 Likes

I suppose a Dymo label maker might be too big and heavy to take traveling but if you used black on clear and white on clear labels and got them on straight, the hotel staff would probably never know they weren’t put on by their own crew. For annoying LEDs on TVs, a sheet of LightDims fits in a small envelope and will cut their brightness to almost nothing. Or you could take a small roll of gaffers tape (also very useful for many different travel repairs) or electrical tape.

2 Likes

She must have been in there watching TV.

3 Likes

Hotels should really connect all the fixtures to the internet of things, and route the controls through their premium internet access.

5 Likes

I want a shaving mirror in the shower.

I’d also like a shelf in the shower large enough to rest a razor, soap, and shampoo bottle without them slipping off via gravity or being knocked off by the spray. (No, those tiny soap cradles don’t count.)

2 Likes

Thats supremely evil, well done :smiley:

4 Likes

You may be on to something there!

My modest addition:

“If thine guest in his wisdom teareth from the bed that accursed, pointless horizontal ornamental foot-trapping thingymajig that rendereth movement within the bed imfrickingpossible… then please allow thine chambermaids to NOT reaffix the damned thing with the grip of an iron maiden every time the the room is made up!”

Here’s one:

What is that, I don’t even…

13 Likes