Late sixties "Internet" brand transistor radio

[Permalink]

Although not directly related to the etymology of the word “Internet,” this reminds me of the “Internet Laundromat” that appeared in my Queens neighborhood in the early-to-mid-90s. Did it have computers with internet access available? Nope. It was just a regular laundromat. I assume that the owners were not particularly savvy with computers and/or English, and upon seeing the word everywhere, assumed it was some kind of superlative and stuck it in the name of their business.

2 Likes

Jen: “It’s so light!”
Moss: “The Internet doesn’t weigh anything, Jen!”
Jen: “Wait a minute…where are the wires?”
Moss: “It’s wireless!”

9 Likes

That looks like a radio that was made in a small batch of perhaps a few thousand, then promptly forgotten about. The name sounds like an amalgamation of ‘tech’ syllables. It’s not surprising that someone would come up with that word.

What is surprising is that it is still possible to come up with new ‘tech’ company names, given the need of a ‘tech’ word for every single one of the millions of Silicon Valley startups.

1 Like

That was Percival Dunwoody, time traveler, establishing his claim to the name for the trademark lawsuits.

4 Likes

Transistors? I thought the internet was a series of tubes!

So confusing.

3 Likes

That’s totally internet!

2 Likes

Hoax. You can tell by the pixels.

Which ones?

1 Like

Oh, they ran out a long time ago; it’s been down to random gibberish for ages. Cool tech names now are shit like “Blobbr” and “Xingo”. Hell, as far back as 1994 we had “Yahoo!”, complete with that fucking exclamation point.

The new ones. The image is comprised of a large number of vintage 1960s-era pixels, intermised with a smaller quantity of modern-day pixels. The width:height ratio is subtly different, and there is a minor tonal variation (primarily due to manufacturing process differences in the pixel-substrates).

However if you have a look with a Online Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope [check google; there are a number of services that allow you to upload files], you’ll see that all the older pixels have the following embed or “signature” wrapped around the pix-core:

While all of the modern pixels feature:

Sad, really.

2 Likes

Don’t misunderstand the joke. Weird stuff happens in the area near the address on the box. There’s a temporal rift there which is why the area is known as “Clockhouse”.

The reflections are all wrong.

1 Like

Yeah, but dude…gateway! Not a bb. Yahoo! was actually cutting-edge, once upon a time. For about 5 minutes…

Oh, well done.

1 Like

And it’s solid state, so it has no moving parts and boots up quickly!

The earliest reference in the OED is from 1968 where internet is used as a verb.

Here is a table top version by the same company….

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.