The quest for the well-labeled inn

Ask for an extra room key. #winning!

2 Likes

In new hospital construction, ground up is the practice so that a conductor dropped in the gap between the outlet and the plug is less likely to short it.

3 Likes

What the hell are those things, anyway? If they want to keep bedding costs low, putting a necktie on my bed isnā€™t the way to do it.

3 Likes

What bothers me in the photo here is that thereā€™s no labeling on the hot/cold. Iā€™ve seen the pull-on-the-tub-spout shower switches before, so that doesnā€™t bother me so much. But what does really bother me are the shower controls that put amount of water pressure on the same slider as cold-to-hot. I also donā€™t understand why itā€™s so hard to have labels that match at least approximately where the hot and cold are so I have some reference point to start out. I hate having to waste time and water figuring out where those points are.

My other pet peeves:

I always unplug the refrigerator unless Iā€™m using it, as the compressor kicking on at random intervals will usually keep me from falling asleep (of course if they donā€™t maintain it, then at 4am you get dripā€¦ dripā€¦ dripā€¦, which is probably worse)

I wish there were more options for heaters/ac units, as to whether you want the fan to continue blowing when the thermostat turns it off. Most units, however it is, thatā€™s what you get.

1 Like

I donā€™t get how an overhead light can affect the location the bed? All the lights in my apartment are practically in the middle of the ceiling and I cannot think any reason they would have affected where I put my furniture.

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious where you saw this. I only saw this for the first time in China.

I really donā€™t get how the systems you have labelled as (1) and (3-10) are considered any kind of progress over (2). Two separate tap heads and a plug on a chain is totally unambiguous, works fine, is usually way less finicky than any other option, and is easy to maintain.

Do those uni-orb systems generally actually have a bimetallic strip in them, or are they just controlling two separate valves? I always assumed it was the latter.

1 Like

Also how hot do people usually like to sleep? The only time I have ever slept under all the bedding on a hotel bed was in a cheap motel in winter - so the rooms are cooler (but not ā€œWE HAVE AIR CONDITIONING!ā€ frigid) and the bedding less ridiculously heavy.

Nothing bespeaks luxury like fifteen pounds of duvet in a heap at the foot of the bedā€¦

3 Likes

I run into them quite frequently outside the US - mostly in Europe and Asia. Lately Iā€™ve been doing a lot of traveling to Central and South America and finding them in just about every modern hotel now.

Last time I was in Japan they gave me an actual key (a bit like the one below) that had an embedded RFID chip that required me to place it on a little shelf near the door so there was no fooling it by using a business card. And they would only give me one key at check-in.

3 Likes

Never quite got the exploit to work to form a connection via OpenVPN, but Marriottā€™s internet used to not block UDP on port 50. Dunno about today, but used to be that if you started a Netflix movie right at the end of your paid session, you could watch the whole thing, and it only choked when you tried to start the next movie.

Pretty sure Iā€™ve heard dudes bring back prostitutes, 3-4 times. Oy. Business travelers be naughty.

Lately, Marriott has smart alarm clocks with an iPod dock and a variety of phone chargers sticking out. Even has an audio jack so you can just chunk in your phone and use its (accurate, no-fuss) alarm.

1 Like

Oh, god, the alarm clocks. First thing I do in a hotel is unplug the alarm clock. I spend way less time in hotels than the writer, but I agree completely! I wonder if hoteliers read this blogā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read that, but it is not a standard, just a practice. Plenty of electricians in various threads disagree with it. It IS strange, in a field with so many specific safety related codes.

Iā€™ve seen those while shopping for DOG KENNELS. I believe they are intended to protect the linen from your shoes.

3 Likes

This is why I still have write-protect tabs from the 5-1/4" floppy days.

2 Likes

I guess itā€™s ā€œgoing greenā€ and all that, but when it comes to the a/c or heat Iā€™m not sure. It might seem wasteful to have it running when not there, but my dad always insisted that it takes less energy to heat/cool a room at a consistent temperature, rather than leaving it off when not there and having wider temperature swings to fight against.

2 Likes

High Security? You could probably bump that keyway in seconds.

1 Like

This reminds me of one of my favorite anecdotes:

I went to my first computer conference at the New York Hilton about [decades] ago. When somebody there predicted the market for microprocessors would eventually be in the millions, someone else said, ā€œWhere are they all going to go? Itā€™s not like you need a computer in every doorknob!ā€

Years later, I went back to the same hotel. I noticed the room keys had been replaced by electronic cards you slide into slots in the doors. There was a computer in every doorknob.

• Danny Hillis
13 Likes

No bimetallic strips as far as I know.

As for advantagesā€¦ I wonā€™t vouch for 3-10. I dislike them all, though in some cases that might be just cultural bias.

But as for advantages: ONE HAND USAGE!

So, when Iā€™m having a shower, I use one hand to point the shower head at my foot so I can test the temperature without receiving a whole-body icy shock or third-degree burns. I use the other hand to turn on the water at medium temperature and keep adjusting the temperature while turning up the flow. I keep my hand on the handle until all the stale cold water has drained from the pipes and the temperature has stabilized.

With the old (2) system, I also use one hand to point the shower head somewhere the wrong temperature wonā€™t cause lasting damage. I use my second hand to turn up the cold water and my third hand to turn up the hot water at the same time.
Or maybe not. I could put the shower head in its standard overhead position and stand awkwardly to the side to try to keep most of my body out of the water until the temperature is right.
Or I could first turn up the cold water a little, then add a little hot water, then add more cold water, then add more hot water, until both amount and temperature are right.

Also, consider that most hot water systems arenā€™t perfect - meaning the temperature of the water isnā€™t perfectly constant over time, and the pressure of the hot water is usually less than that of the cold water and depends on who else is using it. Once the overall flow is limited by a slightly calcified shower head, turning up one tap will inevitably reduce the flow from the other a bit. In that case, it makes much more sense to have a combined two-dimensional control that you can intuitively control rather than having two separate controls that pretend to control two independent variables, but donā€™t.

As for maintenance: Those things are quite sturdy.

As for the plug: Thatā€™s the part Iā€™m least convinced of. But still, the things are sturdy, and the time until the plug system fails is about the same time that it takes for the chain to get broken and the plug to get lost. Also, that plug-on-a-chain keeps getting in the way.

And for the love all thatā€™s holy, have a night light in the bathroom, so I donā€™t have to either stumble around in an unfamiliar space, or turn on the overly-bright overhead light.

7 Likes

You only have to drop something metallic on a partially unplugged outlet one time before youā€™ll get fairly fanatic about ground-up outlet orientation.

Fun fact: You can get a sunburn from plasma arcs. Also cataracts.

Ground up is right side up!

7 Likes