The quest For virality is making everything shitty

No, I like gridiron, and most other sport. I just live in Seattle, was convinced they’d lose and watching sides I support lose puts me in a foul mood, so I avoid watching a lot of live sport. English cricket (especially when playing Australia), mostly.

I really do hate all the stupid ‘entertainment’ rubbish tacked onto sport, though. Get rid of cheerleaders, fireworks, halftime shows, walk on music and all that crap.

In this case, you couldn’t pay me enough to get me to sit through a Katy Perry performance.

I think he’s casting too wide a net with his examples. The guerilla advertising he talks about doesn’t seem comparable to The Left Shark. The fully functioning Mini-Cooper ride may have been an attempt to “go viral”, but at least it was a deliberate attempt. It was like someone built a bandwagon hoping people would hop on. The Left Shark is more like someone accidentally started a fire, and a bunch of people gathered around and turned it into a bonfire.

Or to put it another way the guerilla advertising is like conceptual art, the sort of stuff that becomes famous (or at least used to until everyone got bored with it) because it garnered responses ranging from “I must be stupid because I don’t understand it” to “Well hell, I could do that.” The Left Shark is more like a can of spilled paint that everyone gathered around because if looked like Jesus or Elvis or Andy Warhol’s genitals.

I’m pretty sure this has been a concern, and a complaint, for as long as culture has been “popular”–as soon as the high walls of patronage broke down letting all the riffraff in.

TL;DR: Everything’s been going to shit since the Salon des Refusés.

3 Likes

Hmm. It sounds as if what you really like is not gridiron - or sports generally - but simply watching your tribe win.

1 Like

God, that last panel is so smug and the whole comic is so passive-aggressive, how can you stand it?

I never thought a stick figure could have a Backpfeifengesicht.

5 Likes

Me too, in fact, I’m still not sure it didn’t.

If so, I wouldn’t go to Mariners games. :smile:

Or support Leicester City.

It’s not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It’s the hope I can’t stand.

2 Likes

Of the many things wrong with that comic I find most amusing the erroneous assumption that normal people will actually try to give a shit about your obscure interests. Then again, without that assumption xkcd wouldn’t exist.

1 Like

I usually love XKCD, but that particular comic suggests to me that Munroe is so deep in his bubble that he’s forgotten what a joy it is to find other people who aren’t football fans.

10 Likes

That’s not what passive-aggressive means. If anything, loudly proclaiming one’s lack of interest in plebian entertainments is a passive-aggressive way of expressing disdain for that intellectually inferior rabble. If what you want to say is that anyone who doesn’t read Feynmann or Proust all day is ignorant, go ahead and say that. Don’t be a coward. You’re not worried about what those people think of you, right?

4 Likes

Maybe it’s not obscurity of subject matter that puts off those awful normal people, but supercilious disregard for their tastes and interests.

1 Like

Just a heads up, Drew Magary writes for deadspin, not jalopnik. Both are under the gawker umbrella though

To be fair, it was a pretty fun video game, as I recall.

oh, the irony.

3 Likes

While deadly, I’m not sure that viral-oriented media actually kills millions. Yet.

My tribe has fire; what has yours got?

Ooooh, burn!

2 Likes

I misread it as “vitality”. Turns out my glasses are really dirty.

The video game was rather good though.

1 Like

good in an absolute sense, or just in comparison to the movie?

But, either way, the game’s goodness completely beside the point. Movies should be, you know, movies. Telling stories. Not extended adverts for crap I don’t need or want.

1 Like

Every once in a while I’ll see cakes made in that kind of shape, and I have to wonder who the hell enjoys those? The idea of pulling a Barbie out of a cake and eating the frosting between her legs seems so wrong.

3 Likes

A mathematician’s answer of yes. Although an arcade-like race was out of their wheelhouse Lucasarts (RIP) made a fine F-Zero

2 Likes