"The rats are ... all high," says New Orleans police chief

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/11/the-rats-are-all-high-says-new-orleans-police-chief.html

3 Likes

So that’s why the weights of drugs seized and drugs presented at court are so different!

17 Likes

yup. moving the department and evidence lock-up to a skyscraper office will ensure that the rats are all high…
and i don’t mean the rodents.

personal aside: i was visiting my stepfather back in '82 in NOLA (we were close, he and i) and he had a buddy in the PD that worked narco/vice. this dude gave us a private tour of the HQ back then - including the evidence area (we did not go into the locked cage area of actual holding). what i remember is that the place was a shithole even then! dank, moldy, ■■■■■ and smelled like a super funky locker room.

18 Likes

This was an episode of Barney Miller if I recall correctly.

8 Likes

NOPD headquarters is a filthy den of rats and always has been.

Also, NOLA decriminalized marijuana possesion 3 years ago. So why do they have an evidence room full of weed in the first place?

20 Likes

In my experience, corrupt cops notwithstanding, you absolutely do need to be careful with your weed if you have pet rats (or, I guess a rat infestation), because the little fuckers will absolutely steal and eat it.

8 Likes

Obligatory:

Understand Captain America GIF

For you youngsters -

13 Likes

Apparently, the rats vie for food with the cockroaches.

That’s silly, cockroaches ARE food.

That would be like fighting a cow over a head of lettuce.

ratshigh

11 Likes

There is another episode where the squad is under suspicion because 2 kilos of weed go missing from the evidence locker, and later they discover a rat was eating it.

(I gotta say, for 70’s comedies that show still holds up pretty good.)

3 Likes

Oh, shit. Forgot about that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Jeez this is the stuff of nightmares.

It’s a super dark IRL version of the last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark and man, I have been to New Orleans many times, and there are parts of it, due to its incessant humidity and problematic building conditions, are just so dank.

3 Likes

Calling all those native rat snakes, calling all cars collubrids of North America:

Rat snakes are members – along with kingsnakes, milk snakes, vine snakes and indigo snakes – of the subfamily Colubrinae of the family Colubridae. They are medium to large constrictors and are found throughout much of the Northern Hemisphere. They feed primarily on rodents. Many species make attractive and docile pets and one, the corn snake, is one of the most popular reptile pets in the world. Like all snakes, they can be defensive when approached too closely, handled, or restrained. However, rat snake bites are not dangerous to humans. Like nearly all colubrids, rat snakes pose no threat to humans. Rat snakes were long believed to be completely nonvenomous, but recent studies have shown that some Old World species do possess small amounts of venom, though the amount is negligible relative to humans.[1]

Previously, most rat snakes were assigned to the genus Elaphe, but many have been since renamed following mitochondrial DNA analysis performed in 2002. For the purpose of this article, names will be harmonized with the TIGR Database.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.