The return of Tower Records

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/16/the-return-of-tower-records.html

4 Likes

What are they going to sell?

3 Likes

At least we still have the Tower Theater here in Sac.

10 Likes

Tower Records in Dublin appears to be still open.

I’m glad about that but a bit ashamed because I haven’t been there in years.

5 Likes

I’ll take vinyl for $300, Alex.

8 Likes

People liked tower records?!?

2 Likes

As I recall they caused the closure of several independents.

1 Like

They bought out Rose Records in Chicago, for that matter (or drove them out of business, one or the other).

1 Like

Deja vu all over again. Found this old email from 2009:

I ordered a box set from the old new Tower; it had a metal slipcase which they successfully dented.

3 Likes

I think “loved” might be a more accurate descriptor. Are you just learning about this?

3 Likes

Back in the 90s I liked the tower records we had. It wasn’t my favorite music store, which thankfully is still open, but Tower had a great selection

5 Likes

Nostalgia.

Now what about Peaches? Or NRM (National Record Mart)?

I didn’t like tower records very much at all. Expensive and I didn’t find the selection to be that great🤷

3 Likes

I saw several bands that later went on to stardom, make their West Coast debut performing in the parking lot of Tower Records on Columbus, in San Francisco. Even overflowing into the streets, it couldn’t have accommodated more than a couple of hundred people. I also knew the guy who hand painted all the 4’ square album covers at all or most Tower Records. I’m certain he painted thousands, (millions if you ask Kayleigh Mcenany). What an obsolete concept in today’s world. Of course, for shopping experience and selection, Amoeba on Haight was always my first choice.

5 Likes

Much better than the Tower Cafe (though the scenery was great - especially out front near the fountain)

This is what made occasionally braving the Sunday brunch crowds tolerable.

1 Like

I remember them having decent coffee too

1 Like

Duplicate. Please delete.

So when the pandemic eases if I could go to Ireland or Japan I could walk up the ramp into a Tower Records.
Maybe I’ll just get a turkey sub this year.