The rise and fall of Theranos

She doesn’t blink much, either – decidedly creepy.

The good news is that she destroyed the credibility of her Board of Directors, primarily a collection of Reaganites.

2 Likes

I know a guy whose an “X”, with a son an “XI”

2 Likes

3 Likes

The $9M figure is fictitious and speculative at best. The investment level is $700M-800M and is probably closer to the actual worth.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how a privately held company can have any king of real valuation…

2 Likes

I did say estimated.

3 Likes

(That was awesome)

3 Likes

Hear, hear!

It can be done, but it has to be regulated from the start. For example, prosthetic heart valves that can be inserted by catheter instead of by open heart surgery. The FDA were there working with the company from the start (and with the ISO prosthetic heart valve standard) to make sure that reasonable testing methods were worked out. Now these devices are being put in elderly patients who can’t tolerate surgery but need a new heart valve. (Also in children with heart defects, to delay the next surgery for a few years.) This was a new technology that was developed properly, I think. There are still problems, but it’s saving lives.

My only worry was when two start up companies were sold to Medtronic for over a billion dollars. Makes one pause.

3 Likes

Who, Overly Attached Girlfriend?

I had to scan tons of her personal notes and correspondence into the company database, to be used as evidence during the trial.

You don’t do hours upon hours of such mind-numbing work without internalizing at least some of the content.

Let’s just say that having access to some of her private thoughts did not in any way ‘endear’ me to her or other entrepreneurs like her.

9 Likes

I’m glad I didn’t have to do what you did. Also, I’m sorry that you had to do it.
I was too creeped-out to go on about a minute into that clip. Usually I like creepy, this time, not so much.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’m not; it’s not as if I had to do it for free.

It’s part of my job, albeit one of the more tedious aspects.

I’m sure the vid of her speaking was unsettling, but I haven’t watched it.

Again, having read some of her thoughts written by her own hand was more than enough exposure for me… although some of the exchanges between her people and the journalist who exposed them were almost amusing at times.

3 Likes

Upon considering the cults of Peoples Temple, Branch Davidians, and Heavens Gate, I think Theranos could have turned out worse that it did.

I wonder what the Kool-Aid is this time.
Xanax and some Vodka chasers seems too . . . ordinary.

1 Like

side note: wow I had almost forgotten about using a single double quote as a place holder for duplicated content. brings me back to the days of ibid and grammar trees and cursive. hold on, i need to go sharpen a feather and get the blotter paper and ink well.

3 Likes

I’m a sucker for nostalgia.

:wink:

And my kid can totally write in cursive; had her school not taught her, I would have done so myself.

10 Likes

I love cursive, both English and Russian. So pretty, elegant, and legible when done right.

(Also love the traditional card catalogs. Always on, never failing thanks to SQL issues. If I had the money, my library would be set up with one.)

2 Likes

I guess I’m just biased towards the pen. Even my icon is hand-lettered, albeit without paper.

5 Likes

Another reason to need kerning, which “fixes” the problem.

But of course, most folk don’t really bother.

We all know the rules it’s obligatory.

7 Likes