The rise and fall of Theranos

DOWN HERE… THEY ALL FLOAT

1 Like

is he an entitled douchenozzle?

There’s also this, where she says, “There was an amazing woman who was named Margaret Thatcher.”

Also for some reason pronounces “each other” as “eazch other,” more than once, near the end of the clip. Is that a regionalism?

2 Likes

So…does everything immediately bring Trump to your mind?

What’s that like?

1 Like

Cry and you cry alone, laugh and the world laughs with you. Try it, you’ll like it.

3 Likes

shudder

fudder

Hmm, the freakiest thing about the video isn’t her per se, it’s the lighting choice. The lights are reflected in two white arcs on her iris’s, which makes here look kind of alien. And like most advertisements, there is so much work and effort put into this that there are no accidents. So that is a strange on purpose.

5 Likes

You see a lot of circular lighting panels in music videos. They’re typically used to try and make it look more ethereal, along with the circular reflection in the eyes, specifically to highlight the eyes by themselves.

Also, the way she moves her head makes her look like a muppet. The no-blinking and freaking deathstare with no actual facial expression doesn’t help either.

5 Likes

That’s impressive. My kids are terrible at cursive.

And I’m worse!

2 Likes

So wait. Are you guys trying to tell me that my idea of self-published Holmes erotica isn’t the great idea I think it is? And the first draft of Just one Drop is almost finished!

Shit…

4 Likes

Between those factors and her unexpectedly baritone voice, I almost thought the video was slowed down by 40% or something.

Well, that’s more than enough of that sort of policing from me. I’m just gonna go ahead and object to her on paper from here on out.

3 Likes

A well-executed long con that took in a lot of people who really* should have known better, but didn’t think the endgame all the way through.

*The kind of stuff they’re touting would have required a lot of publications in peer-reviewed journals. You can get away with not publishing, or even patenting, results and making everything a trade secret when you’re, say, Intel, and it’s unabiguously obvious whether your products work or don’t. Not so in this case.

2 Likes

I use them all the time when lecturing. Lots of theorems have multiple parts with just a few words changed. I should probably start explaining it more, at least for the foreign students.

3 Likes

The Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe picked up on Theranos a few months back before the scandal came to a boil. Same assessment.

“Hmm, medical technology claiming to do something completely revolutionary, but no peer reviewed study, patents or external verification… This is definitely quackery.”

4 Likes

I knew the guy was up to no good right from the start.

4 Likes

Charlie Stross jumped The gun when he wrote his vampire novel The Rhesus Chart - he should have held on and made it about Theranos rather than merchant bankers. And I’m not saying that because Theranos deal in blood - it’s more a management style thing.

2 Likes

About time that family started referring to themselves as “Dauphins”.

(Or dolphins, per Huck Finn!)

1 Like

According to the VF article, there’s a movie in the works.

1 Like