Theranos bilked elite old-money investors of $400 million, say prosecutors

Originally published at: Theranos bilked elite old-money investors of $400 million, say prosecutors | Boing Boing

1 Like

Oh, she is.

That she was able to con some of the 1% who are also awful is irrelevant to her own awfulness.

33 Likes

No, she totally is.

Just because a scumbag preys on other scumbags in addition to everyone else doesn’t make her not a scumbag. I’m not cheering this sociopath on any more than I would Martin Shkreli, who also ripped off some rich people, but is also still 100% as awful as we thought.

20 Likes

The thinnest of silver linings.

9 Likes

She talked Henry Kissinger out of $3M?
I respect that.

19 Likes

Kissinger is still alive?

11 Likes

Simply transferring funds from one asshole to another…a la Me and You and Everyone We Know.

16 Likes

This is what I like about SUCCESSION, a bunch of rich assholes screwing each other. Of course I can enjoy the TV show knowing that any consequences to society at large are few and fictional, unlike in the real world.

1 Like

That’s like me losing a $1.00. Boo fucking hoo.

18 Likes

Is totally an Emperor’s clothes story, once the first suckers are brought in, others come because they don’t want to be the ones left outside.
And of course it confirms that rich people are not magically better at handling money, is just that having enough money and connections enable them to make more money and connections.

13 Likes

I don’t know if I’d call them old-money families but their fortunes have been around for decades so close enough.

I believe the terms of art for this estate lawyer Daniel Mosey in such situations are “roper” and “shill”. I’m sure he benefited from steering his clients toward this grift with some nice kickbacks from Theranos.

13 Likes

Ehh. You go where the money is. It’s faster to fleece a few millionaires than to fleece millions of regular folk.

4 Likes

Tell the tRump Co. & all his slimy followers.

5 Likes

This may be pocket lint to the wealthy, but they did not get to be wealthy by having any sense of proportion. She is in deep shit because she dared to bilk the misers on top and now she can anticipate the Madoff treatment.

11 Likes

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three lefts do.

4 Likes

Came here to say this. $100 million is a TON of fucking money in the normal world but it’s literally like losing a few thousand bucks in proportion to their overall wealth. Having a hard time mustering much sympathy here.

12 Likes

I almost feel bad for her, that’s going to result in a long stay behind bars.

You & me both Brother. Maybe they can get a bail out from Gov. because they’re too big to fail?

3 Likes

That’s what I said when I first saw his name mentioned in the filings.

4 Likes

There’s a rather strong argument to be made that the reason she’s actually getting tried on these charges is BECAUSE she bilked the wealthy and not just common people. Had it been a bunch of poor people she’d suckered, they’d probably have let her settle out of court and walk away free. You never steal from the rich who are stealing from everyone else.

14 Likes