The risk of going hungry in the U.S. is rising

I’m a political asylee from Cambodia. I’ve seen what food shortages, breakdown in civil services, disease and famine can do. :grimacing: That said, I’m no traumatized Afghan Girl refugee. I can’t say I’ve ever experienced hunger first hand. I actually come from a very privileged background/family.

I think I’m (more?) alarmed by the fact that the majority of “visible, productive” US citizens don’t seem to realize these inequalities are as bad as they are.

11 Likes

Yeah, that is indeed something to be alarmed about!

6 Likes

Maybe they can eat the stock market.

Or they can just, you know, try not being poor.

6 Likes

So thats why Trump is doing nothing, Soylent Green.

2 Likes

One in eight families. In the richest country in the world. Jesus.

(UK can hardly boast, mind: in 2018/19, nearly 1.6 million people used a food bank. Ten years earlier, it was 26,000. Source.)

8 Likes

I remember when food banks started up in the Reagan 1980’s as a solution to a temporary problem. They never went away in either the US or Canada.

They don’t understand they just need to work a little harder. /s

Or is it going to be Soylent Orange?

5 Likes

This person is a privately educated financial journalist, daughter of an editor of the Times and sister of the frankly freakish Jacob Rees-Mogg, the current Leader of the House of Commons.

There are far too many people in Britain who believe (or profess to believe) that poor people just need to pull their socks up.

7 Likes

When I started to catch on to the reality of the pandemic mid February ish, I went through the seed stash and planted everything that could start that early, doubled the width of my flower beds, added a third raised bed, and started searching for seeds and edible perennials and planted the remains of a sack of potatoes that had gone to seed. Plus I found chickens during the great chick shortage of 2020. With all the shortages it’s clear I’m not the only person who responded similarly. Maybe they just wanted something to do in lockdown, but food shortages is usually where my mid goes to first in crisis.

I’m fine food wise but I’ve been feeding a small family on the side which I couldn’t do if I wasn’t growing the food myself. The garden is planted for a fall harvest now, with starts for winter greens. Oh, and I’ve saved seed like never before. It would be nice if we didn’t have the same seed shortages we had this spring, but I’d just as soon have extra to share.

6 Likes

A follow up: the United States of America didn’t start their own welfare programs like Social Security and Medicare because they loved poor people. They did it to head off growing unionization, protests and violence under the belief that if you gave enough people JUST enough to mollify them, you could easily control the rest. The GOP has definitely forgotten WHY things improved in this nation (for some at least, I’m well aware of the limits of our largesse).

7 Likes

Yep, this. My father has been volunteering at one for years now, ever since he retired. I think the hardest part for him about our current pandemic situation is he can’t go down and help out, he’s too at risk at his age. Keeps him stuck in the house more, but at least my sister and her spouse and children live with him to keep him company.

6 Likes

Good luck poor people who live in red states

3 Likes

“In an age when their technology should be able to clothe and feed all of them; that they should live like this.”

I still see so many people not willing to undertsand that in the modern world, suffering like this is a choice society makes, again and again and again.

6 Likes

15 Likes

Understood. I guess we are going to be receiving survival packets pretty soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.